Anyone separate their roos from their hens?

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
I'm sick of seeing bald backs! I plan on separating the roos except for the occasional date. How long can I put off this date before I lose fertility? I was thinking about putting them together once a week. Too often? Not often enough?

You shouldnt separate them. If they were together since chicks theyll stop eating my chicks diid thay!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Should remain fertile for about 2 weeks +/- If you want it out of the hen it will last 4 weeks if you it to remain only count on 1 week. Sorry thats just my luck. Each hen can be a little different.

I have my roos seperate from the hens, I do leave a couple with the girls, but I have one pen with 10 roos otherwise everyone would be bald.

The problem with seperating then reintroducing is they have to start over as a new chicken to the flock, even if they were just on the other side of the fence, so mating may not occur right away, not like with other animals where you can put them together, and know it happened.

Missy1, have you raised a flock to laying age and then watched as your one (mistakenly sold to you as a pullet) roo decimates every feather on the backs of almost all of your fourteen hens? I have, and it's awful to see. I really need to get rid of the roo for that reason. This is why the OP is asking the question, I'm sure.

If I had the facilities I'd separate him out in a heartbeat, and just let him 'mingle' once in awhile. My poor birds look awful - although they're laying lovely eggs and seem otherwise happy.

I think I read somewhere that a hen is fertilized for two weeks, but I'm no expert.

Quote:
I thought you were gonna say "Chicken Soup" or at least "Another Pen"
ep.gif

Quote:
SEMEN (its an adult word in an adult conversation, c'mon) can be stored sometimes for 10 days or more. For optimum fertility, once a week would be best.

Have you ever considered saddles to protect their backs, that way you dont have to seperate anyone?

I have a truly admirable collection of saddles that always find their way to the ground. I have one hen who stays in her 'dress'. The others shed 'em like it's Prom Night.
Marlinchaser, how long do you find it takes yours to get to mating. Are we talking hours or days?

Back
Top Bottom