Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

I have not been posting my weights in weeks as not to jinx myself
fl.gif
I did lose eggs 6 & 7 as they started to slosh when I went to turn them so they are done. Here are my weights as of today. Please let me know what you think. I did not do the whistle test yet, I am waiting til Saturday for that. Thanks guys! Eggs 10, 11 & 12 are they ones I got from a seller one state away. Egg 12 is very very rough feeling and I think it is not going to be good. I am using my Retipro 6000 to incubate the eggs.
I didn't do the math for yours yet (headache is getting in the way).. but it looks like the weight loss for most of the eggs is pretty steady

sorry you lost a few.. unfortunately it happens..

egg 12 may have an issue with too much weight loss... I had one close to the same starting weight and it only needed to lose 12 grams a week... the egg may still be good.. but if it looks like it's losing weight too quickly you can either move it further away from the fan or even use a non toxic paint and paint a few stripes on the shell to help control the weight loss

Last edited:
there is definitely a 'something does not smell right' smell coming from the incubator. But.... When I put the egg directly to my nose... Not so much. Am I in denial? The egg is still losing weight. We are on day 21. I feel like it needs to stay in that incubator until day 60... Or it explodes, whichever comes first.

Yinepu, I hope you feel better soon, headaches can be debilitating.

I'd like to try testing if one end stays warm after sitting out of the incubator, but wouldn't that be bad for the chick if it is indeed still growing?

there is definitely a 'something does not smell right' smell coming from the incubator. But.... When I put the egg directly to my nose... Not so much. Am I in denial? The egg is still losing weight. We are on day 21. I feel like it needs to stay in that incubator until day 60... Or it explodes, whichever comes first.
Yinepu, I hope you feel better soon, headaches can be debilitating.
I'd like to try testing if one end stays warm after sitting out of the incubator, but wouldn't that be bad for the chick if it is indeed still growing?

thanks.. this headache has been nagging me all last night and today

i've had rotten eggs and infertiles lose weight just like a good egg.. just these two are driving me nuts! They are in the same bator right next to the others.. but so far just won't lose weight and the texture isn't any different from the other "fresh egg"

it won't hurt an emu egg to sit out for the 3 to 5 minutes it takes to cool down enough to let the air cell cool .. remember they are big eggs.. so the internal temp won't drop as fast as it would for a quail or chicken egg

Last edited:
Blarneyeggs, I had a rotten egg and believe me, you don't want to wait for it to explode. Having been present when my husband cracked the egg open inside two ziplock bags, I can say that an exploding emu egg would be a life altering event! It doesn't take much for me to conjure up that smell again even today. You might want to do some of the tests to try to determine if the egg is spoiled. The smell of the egg was definitely mild compared to the smell when the incubator was opened. I waited a full three days before deciding it was rotten.

You may notice the smell increasing over the next few days and then you will know or one day you might pick it up and it explodes. Good luck to you.

Mary

Ok I whistled and I watched egg #1 move like crazy then #4 I believe was next. None of the others wiggled yet. At least I have 2 that are growing !!!!!!!!!!!!
highfive.gif
yesss.gif
jumpy.gif

Mary, Thank you for the dose of reality.

After doing the temperature check, we have come to terms with the fact that our EMU is not going to hatch. We put the 'egg grenade' in it's final resting place.

I don't know why I feel so sad, the last thing in the world I need is an EMU (without even a fence) but I do indeed feel sad. DH says the egg was probably not even fertile so we didn't lose an EMU, just an egg. And that's okay.

Good luck to all of you, I enjoyed playing along. Perhaps next time DS comes home with a surprise EMU egg, we'll have our fencing installed. I'm already equipped with much more EMU hatching information, thanks to you kind people. ~Martha

I second that! I am forever scarred by an exploding goose egg... it was terrible!!! It was EVERYWHERE!!! The horror!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't imagine THAT with an EMU EGG.
sickbyc.gif

My infertile egg was losing weight, too. Eventually, it started giving off odors.
Blarneyeggs, I had a rotten egg and believe me, you don't want to wait for it to explode. Having been present when my husband cracked the egg open inside two ziplock bags, I can say that an exploding emu egg would be a life altering event! It doesn't take much for me to conjure up that smell again even today. You might want to do some of the tests to try to determine if the egg is spoiled. The smell of the egg was definitely mild compared to the smell when the incubator was opened. I waited a full three days before deciding it was rotten.

You may notice the smell increasing over the next few days and then you will know or one day you might pick it up and it explodes. Good luck to you.

Mary

I have another wiggler, egg #9 so that is 3 so far !! Unfortunately egg #3 was a stinker so it was removed and will be blown out.

congrats!

I think two of mine are rotten and one may be an infertile.. at least if there's a chick in there he's not wiggling yet

the other has a wiggler.. so hopefully he makes it to hatch and does fine (he's in one of the really "old" eggs...)

these were all free eggs.. so I certainly can not complain at all
but I have to wonder if they got one of the old eggs mixed up with one of the good eggs.. cause the "good" eggs must have been contaminated with bacteria at time of laying since they are two of the suspected rotten eggs.. either that or they were stored improperly or something...

Back
Top Bottom