Anyone use "Red Cell" for their showbirds? I have a ??

Red Cell is used as a conditioning for broilers. You can use it for show birds, but it may have a different effect on them. I have used Red Cell on broilers and I would highly recommend it for them. When using Red Cell there is precautions to follow when using it. For instance, it can kill your flock if used to often. Red Cell is basically a steroid for animals.

Just did a search for "Red Cell" as an aid for laying and breeding stock.

Does anyone have more experience with this? We have used it for the horses for years. Just font want to have a severe deficiency somewhere or an overdose somewhere else.

Just did a search for "Red Cell" as an aid for laying and breeding stock.

Does anyone have more experience with this? We have used it for the horses for years. Just font want to have a severe deficiency somewhere or an overdose somewhere else.

Red cell won't make birds lay more eggs; but it can possibly help with fertility/hatch-ability given some of the vitamins it contains have been linked to help fertility. Selenium and zinc are a couple, for example.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with the deficiency (over time I was capable of asking someone about the deficiency part- they then told me it didn't cause a vitamin deficiency but that it just contains too much iron and burns the kidneys up over time because it's difficult to process for them)/overdosing. Don't give a lot of it and you will reap the benefits without the defects in my experience as well as what most other people have found after using it for a long time.

As for dosage, I give it in the water once per month. People give different amounts, some give up to 1 oz per gallon or so. I tend to follow similarly to Saladin's comments which you can probably find about it that the water should be "The color of urine. If it looks like a weak tea, you made it too strong."

But, I've never seen a strong mixture damage the birds at least short term, the same results are achieved (in my experience) with the smaller dosages though.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread. Just thought I'd put my two cents worth in. Early this past summer I purchased some Black Copper Marans from a breeder who shows his birds. He had over 100 birds, and they all had gorgeous 'coats'. He said that he mixed in one tablespoon of Red Cell per gallon of water and fed it daily. I didn't ask whether he had periods when he didn't give it to the birds. That may have been as a supplement.

Of my eight layers, only one is laying right now. A few have really healthy coats, but several have been molting and are a bit worse for wear right now. I just started adding the Red Cell to see if it picks them up here in the middle of winter. I'd kept the stuff in my garage and it was gloppy to add to the water --- like adding molassas, but it didn't mix too well. I ended up mixing it in my blender, then putting it in their nipple waterers. I also bought the gallon container inside to see if it thins and is a little easier to add to the water next time.

Will let you know if it makes a difference with the birds' condition. My black Australorp came out of her molt and has a gorgeous coat again with a beautiful sheen --- all without the Red Cell.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of a different dosage, let me know. I will probably be getting hatching eggs from the guy soon, so will double-check about using it.

Sounds like it isn't the best thing for young birds anyway.

I would definitely love to hear about your results. On e of the best bird breeders I know uses it as well as her own formula and has amazing results in laying and good plumage.

I have done a little more research re how often to give the chickens Red Cell. Seems that about once/month is best. I also spoke with the breeder that shows birds, and he confirmed. He basically said that he puts it in their water (a couple of gallons in a nipple watering system for each 20 birds or so), so they can drink it for a day or so.

I have also read not to give it to chickens three months of age or less.

It made it a little easier to mix it when I stored the gallon Red Cell jug inside (wasn't as thick as when I stored it in the cold garage). I think this makes it 'thin' enough so that I can just add 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water in the nipple waterer, and just mix it up with a spoon instead of having to put it all in a blender to mix it. Makes the water turn light brown.

I have yet to see whether this makes a difference since I have only administered it once.

Back
Top Bottom