Anyone use "Red Cell" for their showbirds? I have a ??

If its really high in iron isnt that bad for chickens. I heard that to much iron could poison them. Did I hear wrong or is this something that is only given periodically for show?????

I try to show Black Jersey Giants. I got some feeding/ conditioning tips from a game cock breeder. Red cell was mixed into his feed @ 3 days per week in cool weather for his adult birds. He claimed it helped with the sheen on the feathers. I mix it in my feed @ once a week but i feed everyother day. I use pellets and it tends to glob up on them. I put it into a pump-spray bottle and spray it on top of each scoopfull as i add feed to a 5 gal pail. He pours it onto a grain mix whick tends to coat more evenly. I am currently trying the tractor supply brand. Its a little cheaper and is close in formula. I hvent tried wheatgerm or cod liver oil yet. Ive found if i cant make things simple it wont get done.

We used Red Cell all of the time for years, a lot of people do. I was told though by someone who is pretty knowledagable that it can cause a vitamin deficiency, but I don't remember which one. Thinking something along the lines of K? I was told to mix the Red Cell with Apple Cider Vinegar. Anyone have any more info on this?

I was just sitting here wondering if you could put the red cell into their water with the ACV.. My birds get ACV in their water now and would rather just toss the red cell into the waterers.. Since the ACV is organic I really doubt there would be any issue with this..

Hmmm.. I never heard of a vitamin deficiency, but I guess its possible. I have been putting the Red Cell in the waterers for a while now and my birds never looked healthier, even in these cold temps. The babies that hatch from the adults fed the Red Cell are so energetic from birth (don't know if it is because of the Red Cell). Very happy with the product, I am curious if it can be mixed with ACV without affecting any of the vitamin content etc.. I usually give the ACV separately during the week, in between the days the Red cell is used. The smell alone from either product is not pleasant, so I imagine it wouldn't taste very well together.. don't know
idunno.gif

I just purchased my firat gallon of red cell, plan to use it once a week in the waterers. At present I also add ACV or Nutridrench to the water at least oncea week to boost their dietary needs, not that they really need it, they big birds get to free-range for 30 minutes daily, but I do want healthy birds!

Why wasnt this thread ever finished. This is good information?

I agree -- it's great information! I am resurrecting this thread because I just bought some red cell from a poultry supplier but wanted to know how to use it. BTW, Sunflower chips are broken sunflower hearts.

I'm having trouble finding the ingredients -- my feed store doesn't have this stuff. Where do you buy the ingredients?

I'm thinking of mixing up all the ingredients EXCEPT the base feed and feeding the rest twice a week as a treat. Any input on that idea. Not sure it would "flow" in my homemade 5-gal self-feeders.

Becky in NoDak

Anyone know about the Canine red cell? It looks like it may be less concentrated, but wondering if anyone uses that on chickens. Like to use 1 version around the house not 2.

Back
Top Bottom