Anyone using black soldier flies?

I can't remember where I read it, but some one picks up road kill to feed their BSF.

It's about six posts above yours in this thread.
big_smile.png
I'd considered it but so far all I see on the road are deer and I can't fit one of those in the bin.

Great thread all. I am raising BSF and love to read others' ideas.

For those having issues with the cardboard getting wet, try one of those plastic signs you see on the side of the road (perhaps an old political sign). They are essentially plastic corrugated cardboard and will withstand the humidity much better.

Also, for anyone interested, HERE is a video series of a seminar given by the BioPod people that is full of great information.

Also, the BioPod guy (forget his name) recommends NOT feeding BSF the same species of animal and then feeding that BSF back to the animal. (e.g. Don't feed the BSF chicken meat and then feed that BSF back to your chickens). I think this is more a safety measure since no real testing has been done, but take it for what it is worth.

Good information to know there Gator. We've been feeding ours everything. Chicken and duck scraps from processing. Fish parts and dead fish out of the AP pond and any and all veggie scraps from the house. We feed the larvae to our chickens and fish in the pond and so far no issues. I'm heading to a local seller tomorrow to pick up 600lbs of used brewers grain to start feeding them and hope to have them still active enough come November to feed them the leftovers from processing deer. I amazes me how quickly those little grubbies consume anything we put in there.

Last edited:
My BSF bin is filled with larva of all sizes since it recently got hot here in SoCal. I haven't seen any crawl off yet but am anticipating. I have a question about BSF eggs though. I've been doing the cardboard thing and have not seen any eggs in my bin anywhere. But for some reason the population of larva has been exploding. Anyone know where the eggs might be? I ask because I want to distribute the larva all over the yard.

They will lay their eggs in any crevice that they deem "safe". Occasionally, they will lay them on the food...but they prefer not to. I frequently find them in on the side of my bin once I pull off the top. They tend to lay them in the crevice created between the top and the bin. Once I pull it off, they are right there. They will usually fall off the side and into the bin, though. So when I see them, I usually take a piece of cardboard and scrape it so the eggs end up in the cardboard as they tend to stay in there better.

I'm curious, why do you want to spread the immature larvae all over your yard? If they don't have a food source, they will die.

They will lay their eggs in any crevice that they deem "safe".  Occasionally, they will lay them on the food...but they prefer not to.  I frequently find them in on the side of my bin once I pull off the top.  They tend to lay them in the crevice created between the top and the bin.  Once I pull it off, they are right there.  They will usually fall off the side and into the bin, though.  So when I see them, I usually take a piece of cardboard and scrape it so the eggs end up in the cardboard as they tend to stay in there better.

I'm curious, why do you want to spread the immature larvae all over your yard?  If they don't have a food source, they will die.

Oh I forgot to mention that I wanted to put them in my dog poop and chicken poop piles. Just to ensure that there's a big population all over.

Ah, that makes sense.

Suggestion - Once you get the colonies started on those piles, give the flies a place to lay the eggs and it should become self-sustaining. You could put a piece of cardboard/coroplast (the aforementioned plastic signs) on a stick or something for them to lay the eggs on. Dipping it in the liquid effluent first helps to attract the females.

Ah, that makes sense.  

Suggestion - Once you get the colonies started on those piles, give the flies a place to lay the eggs and it should become self-sustaining.  You could put a piece of cardboard/coroplast (the aforementioned plastic signs) on a stick or something for them to lay the eggs on.  Dipping it in the liquid effluent first helps to attract the females.

Will do! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom