Anyone want to join my blue egg laying Silkie project?

Well here's a mini-update:

Happened to catch this chick in process of hatching from a green egg:

5756_chick4.jpg

Looks like a white, with Silver (the slight tint to the down might be due to silver- it's definitely present in my whites). It has a 50-50 chance of having the green egg gene.. 75% if the father is the white roo which possibly has the gene too.

Didn't get to see what color eggs below hatched out of, thought they were fairly cute:

5756_silksho.jpg

On right is a showgirl, can't see cute little nekid neck due to the crest ands beard obscuring it in this.

And then there's this:

5756_chick2.jpg

I have never hatched a silkie chick with color pattern like this. It has a "lavender colored" body with a white cap. Not sure what color it really is yet.. I did have a bunch of lavender silkies about 2 generations ago so maybe this is a lavender.. or a lavender partridge or..??

Sorry about image quality, they were taken with a mobile and had to shrink them to sharpen them.

Last edited:
Looks like a blue or splash, although it certainly could be lavender. I see the white crests in polish and polish crosses, and I remember seeing wcb silkie chicks a few years ago that matured into regular blacks.

Very cute chicks!

Wow, a few black silkie chicks hatch with white caps? Did not know that. If this one turns out splash, it would be final proof my strange colored birds are blue..

The reason I entertained the possibility of partridge is because I get partridge chicks in all sorts of patterning- from the usual striped pattern to more evenly colored like the one chick in middle pic. Just was wondering if it might be a silver based partridge, with the white cap being due to silver turning the light brown head to white. Not too seriously thinking that though, just going to let it grow up and see how it turns out.

Here's the same chick from middle picture:

5756_partchick.jpg

Do you get partridge chicks marked more or less like this? This one shows slight striping on the sides, however they can come out more solid colored on the body than this.

p.s. did you get my response to your PM?

oh cool chicks! I cant wait to start my project, I still need everyone to reach maturity
smile.png

oh if anyone wants any black Araucana roos for the project I have some free just pay for shipping and $10 for box. They were all hatched from very blue eggs
smile.png
and I would think would be an easy color to start with.

I would like a black araucana roo. I would then need to get some black silkies! LOL What happenes when you cross a white with a black? or a blue with a black? or a blue with a white? derrrrr....

White isn't a color.. it's a gene that prevents whatever colors a bird has from becoming visible. Like spray painting a black bird with white paint.. bird is genetically black but you can only see the white.

So a white x any color is anybody's guess due to this reason.

Blue x black= 1/2 black 1/2 blue babies.

Blue chickens are black chickens with the blue pigment.. which dilutes the black to the bluish greyish color.

Back
Top Bottom