Anyone with a coop attached to secure run NOT close the coop door at night?

I assume you are referring to their welded wire versions which are quite sturdy against larger predators. But weasels, martins and minks can slink through the openings in them with no problem. And snakes too which can prove harmful to younger fowl and bantams.

I have ducks and have a large enclosure up next to my house. I use Nite-Guard solar devices that flash red all night long on the three exposing sides. I let my ducks go wherever they want in the pen all night and have never had a predator issue. My neighbors a short distance from me have had attack after attack so I think my lights and being so close to the house keep mine safe. I would think they would do fine as long as it is totally predator proof. Good Luck with your decision.

My coop is attached to a predator proof run. Flock free ranges during the day but they are confined from evening 8pm until 8am- heaviest predator times. When confined the coop and run is very secure The interfacing pop door remains open 24/7; run pop door (to outside) is on a timer.

My coop is attached to a predator proof run. Flock free ranges during the day but they are confined from evening 8pm until 8am- heaviest predator times. When confined the coop and run is very secure The interfacing pop door remains open 24/7; run pop door (to outside) is on a timer.
When you say confined, you mean in the run and not in the coop right?

When you say confined, you mean in the run and not in the coop right?
When the run and attached coop are locked up for the night the flock is confined. The pop door between the run and coop is always open. I have another pop door on the run that is set on a timer to open at 8am- the flock can come and go as they please then.

This is my coop from Tractor Supply; I always leave the pop door open because the run is covered in hardware fabric. But raccoons can open the flimsy locks so I fasten them with carabiners and wire.

* This picture is from a while back; it’s not on paving stones anymore since I found it wasn’t good for their feet - it does make cleaning up much easier though 😕

Attachments

• IMG_7125.jpeg
    IMG_7125.jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I don't close the coop door, just the run. But I'm in Australia, amd I leave the electric netting on all night. So the only dangers are dogs, foxes, very large pythons and very large monitor lizards. We also have a American Staffordshire terrier who is very protective of her chooks. So the animal must get through the dog somehow, then the electric netting. Anything getting to those chooks really really really wants to.

The plan is to get an automatic coop door at some point. As insurance if we go away overnight with the dog.

Tbh, if I had to deal, with coyotes, minks, raccoons and possibly bears. It would be a different story. I would have that coop locked up tight and have more than one dog. Good chickens are precious these days.

Back
Top Bottom