Anyone with Kids...

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
Or really even if you don't please check out my sisters blogspot about her daughter Aslyn. http://www.foraslyn.blogspot.com/

Here's
their story:
http://starbulletin.com/2007/12/13/news/story03.html

The parents of a 1-year-old girl who died after her baby sitter left her in a car won a $2 million award in a Honolulu court yesterday.

Circuit Judge Glenn Kim awarded $2,067,802 to Timothy and Deona Ryan, parents of Aslyn Ryan, who died at Kapiolani Medical Center on Feb. 7, 2004.

In what they said was a search for meaning in the girl's death, the Tucson, Ariz., couple became activists to prevent the death of children left unattended in vehicles, calling it a "profound issue."

"We opted to use our daughter as our spokesperson for this," said Timothy Ryan, who now works for the U.S. Geological Survey in Arizona. "We'd just like to prevent another family from suffering the loss that we have suffered that is totally 100 percent preventable."

Added his wife, Deona, who is in her 40s, "It's tragic. It's horrible that anyone would have to endure this, and we don't want anyone to have to suffer the pain that we had. It's a more profound issue than we think."

The couple started the nonprofit group Hot Spot in 2005 to protect children from vehicular hyperthermia and heatstroke. Ryan said about 355 children have died from vehicular hyperthermia since 1998. The number is likely underreported since there is no nationwide source for such deaths, she said.

Aslyn Ryan died a week after her first birthday.

At the time, Timothy Ryan was an Air Force tech sergeant at Hickam Air Force Base. The couple found their baby sitter, Shawna Akin, from a Hickam Family Child Care Center's list of approved baby sitters.

According to the family, Akin, who was in her mid-30s at the time, left Aslyn Ryan in the back seat of her car for 50 minutes while running errands. She called 911 after noticing that the girl was "hot and limp and had gasping respirations."

Ryan was taken to Kapiolani, where she was reported to have brain swelling and died two days later.

Two days before her death, Ryan was "happy, vibrant and healthy and was not demonstrating any signs of any illness," according to court documents. The Medical Examiner's Office reported she died of "hyperthermia due to probable environmental exposure."

Akin eventually admitted leaving Ryan in the car, the parents' attorney said. Akin has since left Hawaii for Wyoming. There was no criminal charge against her.

The Ryans said there are 12 states that have laws making such action illegal, but Hawaii is not one, which they hope to change.

While the couple believe they will not receive any of the money from Akin, who would not have the ability to pay, they hope the court victory will help deter other children's deaths.

They will meet with Gov. Linda Lingle's office tomorrow to lobby for their education program and a possible law designed to protect children.

"We don't have a future with that child anymore," Deona Ryan said. "What we have to do is to work now to create a future for other people's children and make sure this doesn't happen to them."

If you leave comments please tell her you read her story on Backyard Chickens.

Thank you.​

A very touching story.
sad.png

It was really awful. My sister had a son (who is fine btw
smile.png
) but it took 18 years for her to conceive Aslyn and then she was taken away so soon.
I'm not sure if the website have many pix of her but here are some I have:

328614676.jpg

328614667.jpg

328614658.jpg

328615031.jpg

Last edited:
That is heart breaking....I had not heard of the story till now, sorry you all had to go thru that. Her pictures are adorable....poor baby.
sad.png

What a doll baby. I really hate to hear stories like this. Your sister must be a very strong person.

This story should also send the message out to parents, that it is a good idea for mom's to stay home with their kids. I love the fact that I can stay home with mine, knowing they are safe with me makes me happy. My oldest daughter b-day is Feb. 7th. Such a sad story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
(Let's not turn this thread into a traditional gender roles soapbox. It's cool that you took that path for yourself, but not everyone wants to or is able to. It's just good in general to make sure your children are in good, safe, aware and iNFORMED hands, whether that is mom, dad, grandma, or a trusted neighbor or friend).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom