Anyone with recent experience with shipped chicks from Cackle?

I’m sure you’ve already said this, but how many chicks did you get?
I ordered 24, though Cackle gave one extra of each breed (4). I am only keeping the cochins, unfortunately, one of them has already passed. It never even had it's eyes open since it arrived here. Thought it was going the right direction when I got it to drink some Nutra Drench, but it was too late.
I originally ordered these chicks so my lone paint silkie chick could have some buddies, but the shipment was delayed by almost 2 weeks.
The other 3 breeds are Welsummer, Olive Eggers (Welsummer/CCLB) and Salmon Faverolles, which I ordered for someone else. I had never seen faverolle chicks before, they are so stinkin' cute.🥰
Super fluffy and bright yellow!
I mean look at this chick, it practically has a mane!🤣
FF5E438D-0974-4940-B70B-D4C62908857B.jpeg

The first 24 hours are tough.
I lost a few more overnight, total of 7
(including the 2 that were dead before I got them) with 3 more looking weak still.🙁
I checked them all yesterday afternoon and pulled the ones out that had an empty crop, as a sign they were not really eating yet. Kept them separate and encouraged them to eat and drink.
I am experienced at raising chicks, so I know that I am doing the best I can for them.
I calculated the actual time it took for them to arrive here from the time of hatch, calculated also the time difference. It was OVER 3 days from time of hatch to pick up time. 3 days and almost 8 hours. Poor little dears. No more chicks in the mail for me anyway, as coming to Hawaii does take an extra day. Too hard on these little creatures.

The first 24 hours are tough.
I lost a few more overnight, total of 7
(including the 2 that were dead before I got them) with 3 more looking weak still.🙁
I checked them all yesterday afternoon and pulled the ones out that had an empty crop, as a sign they were not really eating yet. Kept them separate and encouraged them to eat and drink.
I am experienced at raising chicks, so I know that I am doing the best I can for them.
I calculated the actual time it took for them to arrive here from the time of hatch, calculated also the time difference. It was OVER 3 days from time of hatch to pick up time. 3 days and almost 8 hours. Poor little dears. No more chicks in the mail for me anyway, as coming to Hawaii does take an extra day. Too hard on these little creatures.
I’m sorry about all those little chicks. I hope the remaining ones make it! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom