Anyone's Chicken Ever Survive Aspirating Medicine?

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
I know there are some other threads on this, but none really answer the question I have:

My chicken has aspirated some liquid medicine. She is a silkie, and it was a .2mL dose. I don't think it ALL went into her trachea. She has been sitting on her perch making bubbly noises, open mouth breathing, and occasionally sneezing. It has been this way for about 7 hours with some progress (less gurgling, some periods of closed mouth breathing).

I know nothing can be done but to leave her alone, but I'm sick with worry and I'm wondering how much longer until it might stop if she's able to get it out?

She had a surgery two days ago, and I haven't slept since I left her at the vet. I just got her home today, and now this.

I have seen all of the "correct way to administer liquid medications" info. Please do not reply with them. I feel bad enough already.

Last edited:
Has ANYONE had this happen and their chicken survived?

It's now been about 11 hours, and she seems like she's getting better (she's eating, walking around like normal, mix of open mouth and closed mouth breathing), but I'm worried suck and haven't slept all night.

Any success stories at all????

I have had birds aspirate a small amount of medications, they recovered and were fine. Aspirating liquids can increase the odds of aspirational pneumonia, but it does not automatically happen. There is a good chance she will be fine. Next time you have to dose, give it in smaller increments and let her swallow, then just keep doing that until she's gotten the entire dose.

I have had birds aspirate a small amount of medications, they recovered and were fine. Aspirating liquids can increase the odds of aspirational pneumonia, but it does not automatically happen. There is a good chance she will be fine. Next time you have to dose, give it in smaller increments and let her swallow, then just keep doing that until she's gotten the entire dose.
She's also on two antibiotics for her surgery, both of which I've found treat pneumonia, so I hope that will fend off any pneumonia.

Thank you for responding.

She's been sounding better and better every few hours. It's just so scary.

Last edited:
So sorry. This does happen even to seasoned veterinary personnel. If the patient is still in the hospital, it is placed in an oxygen cage where it can recover.

She did not. :(
I’m so sorry. 😊 Mine did not survive either. I loved her so much. I followed the instructions someone had put on this site and it actually killed her. In big bold letters it said make sure to pull her up two seconds after she started vomiting. When I did that, it made her aspirate because she was still vomiting. We have to be so careful what we read on this site or anywhere else for that matter!

There could’ve been any number of things wrong with yours or mine that we just don’t know. I have to believe that. I also have to believe that they are the same as us, they live the number of days that they are supposed to, and no longer.

I’m so sorry. 😊 Mine did not survive either. I loved her so much. I followed the instructions someone had put on this site and it actually killed her. In big bold letters it said make sure to pull her up two seconds after she started vomiting. When I did that, it made her aspirate because she was still vomiting. We have to be so careful what we read on this site or anywhere else for that matter!

There could’ve been any number of things wrong with yours or mine that we just don’t know. I have to believe that. I also have to believe that they are the same as us, they live the number of days that they are supposed to, and no longer.
Yea, losing Chooch was really rough... it's always really rough, but she was really my baby. And she had just survived a total hysterectomy, so it was really hard to lose her over this.

In her case, I had given her medicine the night before around 8pm, and I stayed up with her pretty late, and she was totally fine. It was when I woke up in the morning, she was gasping for air. I called the vet, and he said she may have hung her head overnight, and the medicine could have come up then, where she aspirated it.

I prefer (and ask for) injections whenever they are available. It's so easy to give chickens injections, and you don't have the stress of trying to pry their mouths open and give liquids orally without choking them.

I'm sorry for your loss. It never gets easier.

Yea, losing Chooch was really rough... it's always really rough, but she was really my baby. And she had just survived a total hysterectomy, so it was really hard to lose her over this.

In her case, I had given her medicine the night before around 8pm, and I stayed up with her pretty late, and she was totally fine. It was when I woke up in the morning, she was gasping for air. I called the vet, and he said she may have hung her head overnight, and the medicine could have come up then, where she aspirated it.

I prefer (and ask for) injections whenever they are available. It's so easy to give chickens injections, and you don't have the stress of trying to pry their mouths open and give liquids orally without choking them.

I'm sorry for your loss. It never gets easier.
That’s terrible what happened to Chooch. 😢 I have found that bird vets are terrible. At least where I live. They are uncaring. When my girl died at the vet, he continued prodding her stomach, almost like he was glad she died so he could push harder on her to figure out if there was an obstruction. It was disgusting. From now on, my birds will die at home just as they are supposed to die.

I read where someone said something like — I refuse to let it destroy me when one of my birds die. I tell them goodbye, and I move on. This has allowed me to enjoy having small pets for the past 25 years.

My precious Eeyore has taught me a valuable lesson about death. We really do have a choice on how we handle their deaths. They are on the other side and are fine! We did not want them to suffer, the last thing they want is for US to suffer. They were here to give us joy. So from now on, I will try my hardest to thank them for the joy they gave me, and I will move on - for them! They will be happy we are ok! I believe in reincarnation... and these sweet little creatures are still with us and want us to be just as happy as we wanted them to be.

Back
Top Bottom