Anyone's Cotton Patch Geese laying?

Not yet - but mine were off last spring's hatch, and I just moved the tanks into the pair's respective pens. They are starting to show gender-based behavior differences - the males are more noisy and agressive and the girls more retiring - but nothing I can say "that is mating behavior" yet.

A question about management:

I've been keeping the pairs penned separately at night, with the pens side by side (yes, each pair can see each other). When I'm home, I've been letting them out to wander the "pasture"/yard. (They really like this. They holler like crazy when they see me coming to let them out.) (And the yard is where they've had access to the kiddie pool, which they love splashing in, but no mating behavior yet.)

(The boys do love to wrestle in the pool.)

My intent is to keep the pairs penned once they start laying. Is this neccesary? Is it okay to continue letting them out until then?

Thanks for the help!

I would be worried about the stress with being separated every day. I separate my breeding pairs in late Dec/early jan to make sure they're used to being out of a gaggle by the time breeding season starts. This might be why you're not seeing breeding behaviors, or it could be that they're too young. You definitely don't need to separate them unless you want to know their lineage, which is why I separate mine. However, if you're going to separate them, I say separate them now or they may stop (or never start) laying.

I just put stock tanks in the pens yesterday (they've already jumped in, jumped out, jumped in, jumped out...) so they will have water for breeding.

I started separating them back around Christmas, when I figured out which goose liked which Gander. Now each pair pretty much goes straight back to "their" pen at night when I put them up. They weren't getting let out every day - only when I was at home in the daylight.

If I'm understanding this right - letting them out and then separating them again at night is too much? I can leave them in the pens.

Thanks for your help!

Mine usually start second week of March. would be interested in trading eggs with someone I have both saddle back and solid. .The first few have poor fertility but after that they are good to go.

rhranch I'm so jealous! Mine were laying by this time last year so that's why I was wondering. Did yours just start?

Hossfeathers I'd say keep them separated and let on pair out each day together. But that's just me. If you don't think they're stressed then keep doing it. Maybe I'm underestimating them.

Morgan, what's their lineage? I might be interested.

Hossfeathers I'd say keep them separated and let on pair out each day together. But that's just me. If you don't think they're stressed then keep doing it. Maybe I'm underestimating them.

What's a stressed goose look like? Picking up a foot to grab the pen gate and rattle it when I don't walk over fast enough to let them out?
big_smile.png
Because if that's the case, they are stressed!

They still have to be herded back in (the ducks chase me into their pen to get at the food) but no big drama. And nothing else (dogs, etc) comes into the yard to mess with them.

They are *so cool*. I'm so glad to have them.

Back
Top Bottom