apartment chickens?

Chickemee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
Texas
How do all of you feel about keeping chickens in an apartment? I know I have around 4 more years till I go to collage and I know I can't take my whole flock with me, but I was wondering if it would be ok to still keep a bantam or other small chicken in an apartment. And if you think it will be ok can you suggest some breeds.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are a couple people here who have house chickens that wear diapers!! I'm sure a small chicken would be fine in an apartment, but just like any other animal, it will need attention and can't be locked up all day. I think a breed that isn't very high strung, like a Silkie or bantam Cochin, would work well.
However, you're going to have to check into this with the place you'd be living.

And if you would likely be out and about for a good part of your days, the little gal would likely be lonely without a feathered friend. Her bedtime would be at dusk which might be when you would be getting home....
JJ

I was planning on getting her at least 1 or 2 friends cause I was considering that she might get lonely.

I would only do with calm breed Bantams

I am not sure if your chickens you mentioned were bantams even if they were (not a Leghorn)
barnie.gif

My bantam cochins & brahmas are very calm!

They come visit in the houseeveryday - I was thinking of having DH make me a perch (like they have for parrots)

Quote:
I wasn't going to take any from my current flock but I meant hatching some. Mine right now wouldn't want to wear a diaper.

I have hand raised my ameraucana chicken, because she had a bad head injury. She ended up with a severe case of scissor beak, so I cannot put her out with the other chickens.
She has become quite the "pet" chicken. She follows me around the house, sits on me when I'm reading, watching TV or on the computer. She is sitting on my shoulder right now. She is very demanding. She thinks I should go to bed at dusk. She sleeps with me. She'll scoot out the door after me. I can take her to the store with me, she usually stands on my shoulder. She goes for rides in the car and visits to friends.
She demands a lot of attention!!! I don't have an outside job and a partner who loves her as much as I do. So we can afford to give her and our other critters the attention they need.
If I were you, I would wait to get any new pet for a while. College is a big adjustment and a lot of fun. It is also hard enough to do your studies, with all the social distractions. Give yourself a chance at all the new experiences, before committing to any additional responsibilities, like a pet. I went on a lot of weekend trips with my friends and I wouldn't have been able to do that, if I had my pet chicken.
yippiechickie.gif

My girls brooder was in the bathroom of our apartment until they were six weeks old. Thats about as long as I think A chicken in an apartment. Unless you get a bantam and put it in a big bird cage.

I would suggest a silkie, cochin or perhaps even a d'Uccle. They all have fairly docile temperments. My white silkie is extremely calm, she do great as a house pet.

Back
Top Bottom