Apartment deck mini-coop for banties??

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
Am I nuts or has anyone heard of doing this or even done it themselves? Sucky economy, etc is forcing me to consider the idea that I may need to move back into the city after only 6 months in rural paradise, but I hate the very idea of giving up on having any chickens at all.

The decks/patios are all about 10 feet or so in length and about 6 feet wide, and while I couldn't use up all that space, I'd like to think I could make use of half of it and do sort of a multi-level coop that would make the most use of the space.

If I was to do this, I'd need some super mellow super quiet hens. What sort of banty would be the best? Any suggestions? Also, I'm wanting hens that would be consistent layers, not just ornamental, although that's always a factor.

Suggestions? Thanks!!

My tractor is 4'X6' with an upstairs house 2'X4'. My 2 banties seem happy, but happier when they are let out. I think a third banty would do fine, but any more and I'd want to make it 4' X 8'.

Man oh man. that is not cool news, the problem is what ifhey find out you have a hen? see before I moved out of the city I had 2 kitte hidden in the appartment with me because I did not have extra money for pet deposit, and thanks god they did not find out other wise they wanted $350 deposit for them.

Omran

I was just thinking about making a coop like this for my back porch!
Not exactly the same idea, but my idea was to use a playhouse (so it will just look like a child's toy) and then have a run underneath my porch/deck.

Someone made a coop out of an old counter and cupboards. That might work on an apartment deck. Banties don't take up a lot of space, but they are still pretty noisy.
roll.png

I agree with catalina-i have one bantum who talks like she's on her cell phone with unlimited minutes. she doesn't stop to breath i tell ya. however she's not loud i guess. then i have one that's a nasty little scolder if you come near her when she's in the nesting box. won't stop for ten minutes and she is obnoxiously LOUD! my 3rd bantum is really quiet and sweet. Good luck and hope you get to stay where you are!!

Thanks everybody. Omelette's Mom, I hope I get to stay where I am too! If not though, I'll keep in mind that while banties may need a lot less space, they may make up for their size with their noise. Much like small men.
gig.gif

oooo! An undercover operation!!
Us agents will assist you Sarge! *salute*
I like the idea of using a child's playhouse as a coop. If you have a mud room they could have some indoor stretching space?
I'd really like to suggest adopting a chicken from a humane society farm shelter. My rooster went to a fabulous farm shelter and there were so many gorgeous laying hens there! And plenty of banties! This kills two birds with one stone; first a homeless hen gets a lovely home, and second you can evaluate their disposition and noise level before they go home with you.
Good luck!
over & out!

Back
Top Bottom