Apartment life, chicken style.

NuffSaid

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
We moved our six week old chicks to the freshly installed "apartment" in the coop. The big girls are used to the apartment wall since we installed it several weeks ago. However, tonight will be the first night that the apartment will have residents in it. I'm very happy with how it turned out, now I just hope everyone gets along in there tonight : )

I'm hoping that once the babies are big enough, they will all be used to sleeping in the same coop and we will remove the apartment wall one day and nobody will care at bedtime that night. We'll see! The last time we had new girls, we had a separate sleeping spot for them outside the coop, in their own private run. When they were the right size and merged with the others, the old girls wouldn't let them in the coop at night and we had to go out every night and stick the younger birds in after the hens had gotten on the roost. Big meanies! Took several weeks of this before they were allowed to enter on their own (after everyone else had already gone in, of course). I'm hoping to avoid that drama this time with our in-coop apartment idea.

I do exactly the same thing. I claim an area for the chicks, they get used to sleeping there, the older girls get used to not sleeping there. It works for me. Nice way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom