Apartment neighbor complaing about chickens

russellsfarm

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2015
tenneesee
I will attempt to make this short and sweet

I just received a call from my uncle who is the mayor of our super super super small town, said neighbors in the apartment behind me are complaining about my chickens he said he thinks it's because they are pooping around the yard they use or something, I don't want to say exactly where I live just because that's just me but the population of the whole town is less than 650 people my house is half on county half on city land, my chickens free roam, always have I've lived here 15+ years same spot same everything, only difference is I do not have as many animals as I use too.

Regardless, I don't have a way to put them up, I can't afford to build anything, they put their self up at night in the sheds around the yard or trees whatever it may be, I was raised to let them run it is best for them and I've never in my life had someone say something, and to be completely honest I've never seen the chickens in yard of this neighbors apartment, they go in the thicket that is on my property.

Idk what to do, I'm not a very nice person when it comes to my animals and people wanting to complain, I've tried to find local laws nothing. There are leash laws here and no one enforces that or anything else the police are not even allowed to give people tickets, when I say this is a small town it is, just looking for insight

Thanks all

Is your property fenced? It sounds like you're saying they claim the chickens are coming into the apartments yard area... which is conceivable if there's no fence or an inadequate fence.

I live in a rural farm area. The number one rule is to keep animals on your own property, no matter what kind of animal it is. It keeps your animals safe from other humans, and it keeps humans safe from your animals.

You might not want to go with the *when wild ancestors roamed* defense. When junglefowl were free to roam where ever they pleased, people were free to eat any that roamed into their living spaces.

It may not take much of a fence (loosely defined as anything that discourages them from going a given way) to discourage them from roaming that way. Especially if other areas are (or can be made) more attractive.

It seems reasonable to not want to step around poop from someone else's animals. At least that is what they are objecting to - that is much easier to do something about than noise issues.

I will attempt to make this short and sweet

I just received a call from my uncle who is the mayor of our super super super small town, said neighbors in the apartment behind me are complaining about my chickens he said he thinks it's because they are pooping around the yard they use or something, I don't want to say exactly where I live just because that's just me but the population of the whole town is less than 650 people my house is half on county half on city land, my chickens free roam, always have I've lived here 15+ years same spot same everything, only difference is I do not have as many animals as I use too.

Regardless, I don't have a way to put them up, I can't afford to build anything, they put their self up at night in the sheds around the yard or trees whatever it may be, I was raised to let them run it is best for them and I've never in my life had someone say something, and to be completely honest I've never seen the chickens in yard of this neighbors apartment, they go in the thicket that is on my property.

Idk what to do, I'm not a very nice person when it comes to my animals and people wanting to complain, I've tried to find local laws nothing. There are leash laws here and no one enforces that or anything else the police are not even allowed to give people tickets, when I say this is a small town it is, just looking for insight

Thanks all
Hmmm - well I wouldn't want MY chickens up at the house pooping and squawking and carrying on - lets face it chickens are smelly and noisy.

While I sympathize with your plight in wanting to let them roam free, the reality of the situation is that you are part of a community, you are not a island. As such you need to get along and meet people half way. Why don't you go meet with these persons and see if maybe you can assist them in putting up some electric fencing to keep the birds off the property they have access to, and away from where they like to spend time (I wouldn't want to be BBQing and step in cecal poop :sick).

Good fencing makes good neighbours and so does good manners. Just because it's a small town (I live in a WAY smaller town - 25 people! 650 is not a small town here!) doesn't mean that you shouldn't compromise with people. I can't begin to tell you how many thousands of dollars I have spent on fencing for my horses to keep my idiot neighbours' dogs away from my horses. But that is my side of the deal in this area - I have good fences, and if their dogs run free - well "hey I really don't know what happened to Fido - maybe you should have put up a good run for the pooch to protect your cherished pet".

No one can come back at me and say I have not done my part to ensure my birds and horses are not bothering anyone. And it give me a sense of satisfaction if someone does come whining and complaining, for me to point out that their dog/kid/driving/wild parties/fireworks have been terrorizing my livestock and "hey you're just lucky that Fido didn't end up going to the SPCA for chasing my horses/chickens the other day - I didn't have to drop by and let you know he was terrorizing my animals"

You're responsible for things that you have charge of - I suggest stepping up to the plate and making it right so that everyone can enjoy things. If you cannot afford to put up fencing then maybe you need to rethink having them - life is tough, and no one ever said that you were entitled to more than the next person....

Sorry for the tough love attitude but they are your responsibility.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom