Township sends letter after 2-1/2 years

6_hen_pen

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
Last week I received a letter from my township, along with other neighbors of mine that have had their chickens for 5 years. The township has received no complaints, “just doing their job” we live on about half an acre and have a fenced back yard, chickens are in a run most of the time and are loved by all our neighbors. The township rules state we can only have 6 chickens, 200 feet from any property line. So basically unless I have 4 acres I can not have chickens. We have a meeting with zoning and the board tomorrow reguarding their rules. Any suggestions on what I should say/points I should bring up? Help me and my neighbors(and flocks)fight for our rights!

S 325-125
https://ecode360.com/5179246

This is in a Township? Here in Maine, there's not enough people in a Township to have rules like that (as far as I know, that is). I suggest staying respectful, plead your case well (you haven't had no complaints, you've had your birds for the amount you've had them, etc.), and have some of your fellow chicken keepers in your Township come speak as well. I hope it all goes well!

Last week I received a letter from my township, along with other neighbors of mine that have had their chickens for 5 years. The township has received no complaints, “just doing their job” we live on about half an acre and have a fenced back yard, chickens are in a run most of the time and are loved by all our neighbors. The township rules state we can only have 6 chickens, 200 feet from any property line. So basically unless I have 4 acres I can not have chickens. We have a meeting with zoning and the board tomorrow reguarding their rules. Any suggestions on what I should say/points I should bring up? Help me and my neighbors(and flocks)fight for our rights!

S 325-125
I'd make a case for revising the current rules to reflect modern urban chicken keeping trends.

Perhaps compiling some data of other suburban areas across the country trending toward backyard chicken ownership could be at least somewhat compelling to the powers that be? My town didn't allow it until 2 years ago, a handful of people organized and petitioned for it and the town was surprisingly accommodating in what seemed like a relatively short period of time, I think less than a year. Now the town allows flocks of 6 up to half acre lot size, 11 for over half acre, and unlimited for 5+ acres. I'm not much of an ask permission type of guy but I did end up going through the permit process with my town and was astounded at how easy it was and they don't even charge for any part of it.

Two hundred feet from a property line seems excessive, except for a more commercial set up with many many birds.

Ask if anyone has specifically complained and address that problem. Some people are just stickler for the rules. If no one has actually complained (which is what they said) then request the rule to change to reflect what people are actually doing.

S 325-125
And - they don’t just “do their job”…someone ratted you out. I’ve seen this a hundred times

S 325-125
Any updates?

Looking at the link you sent:

In the R-R District, the use of land or buildings for farming, livestock raising, dairy, poultry and keeping of riding horses for personal use shall be subject to the following regulations:
[Amended 5-12-2022 by Ord. No. 2022-01]

If this was changed in 2022 and you've had your chickens for 2.5 years, and depending on what it was BEFORE the changes, you should be grandfathered in. An attorney may be your friend.

Two hundred feet from a property line seems excessive, except for a more commercial set up with many many birds.

Ask if anyone has specifically complained and address that problem. Some people are just stickler for the rules. If no one has actually complained (which is what they said) then request the rule to change to reflect what people are actually doing.
Exactly.i have almost 7 acres but it is long and narrow 118 feet across..even my neighbors with 13 acres and 8 couldn't because of the way the family split this parcel they are all between 118-180 ft across and just very long

Back
Top Bottom