Township continues to Persecute me!...

Zhevotnya

In the Brooder
Premium Feather Member
Nov 8, 2023
Hello all,

My "behind the times," township, (Bangor, Bay County, Michigan,) is still proceeding to charge me, (in court,) with violation of their "blight" ordinance! I own five boats, (all of which are now stowed for the winter on my 80' x 60' asphalt "parking pad,") and only eight chickens, in a "way over-sized" coop. I had 18 chickens back in 2016, and the "then" township code-enforcement person cited me for "keeping livestock," in violation of township ordinance "blah, blah, blah." So, being a 100% combat-disabled veteran, I was given a letter from both my V.A. psychologist and therapist stating: Keeping chickens as "support animals" is essential to the veteran's continued recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder, manic depression, survivor's guilt, and bi-polar disorder. It also gives him a reason to "get out of bed" in the morning, instead of worsening his sensitive psychological condition by over-sleeping. I "hand-delivered" a copy of that letter to the "then" township code-enforcement official, (essentially telling him to "put that in your pipe and smoke it," and I never heard back from them...until now!
Before I started keeping chickens in 2016, I asked all of my neighbors, (even three houses away,) if they had any objection to my housing chickens in a coop attached to my garage? They all voiced no objections, until now. As you may have guessed, I have not only a new neighbor, but also a new township code-enforcement officer. He cited me in violation of having "too many" recreational vehicles, (from a 30-foot houseboat, down to a 14-foot fishing boat,) and keeping "unauthorized" livestock. I spoke to him by phone, and informed him of the letter from 2016, to which he quickly replied, they have "no record" of any such letter! So, I simply asked my V.A. psychiatrist, (the same one who penned the original letter,) if he could send me a similar one, which he did. I again "hand-delivered" the letter to the township supervisor, and kindly requested that he make a copy and return the original to me. (He instead summoned two of his co-workers into a side office, out of my line of sight.) After five minutes of their unintelligible "discussion," I asked the receptionist to summon him back. I informed him that (according to my attorney,) mine is a case of "past precedent," which means if you've permitted something in the past, you cannot suddenly prohibit it in the present. As soon as I mentioned my attorney's name, (he's very well-known in Bay County,) his "attitude" took a complete 180! He said our "township counsel" will be "reaching out" (what an over-used phrase,) to you. So, I ambled off with my walker, and my original copy in hand, stating, "It's a done deal...past precedent rules...don't expect to see me in court!"
Now, I've received a court order, demanding that I appear in court on both the "blight," (too many boats?,) and "keeping livestock" violations. I am tempted to ignore their summons, as I don't think a judge would issue an arrest warrant for a 68-year-old, decorated, (four purple hearts...and still...one "broken,") 100% combat-disabled veteran, (who is sitting in a wheelchair as he writes this tome,) recovering from a broken pelvis and left hip, due to an accident in late August of this year. Should I even bother to show up in court? I only have one eye, and cannot see well enough with my remaining one to hold a driver's license. Which means I have to use either my part-time housekeeper/caregiver at my expense or take an expensive taxi ride to and from the courthouse. Any sincere advice or opinions are greatly welcome.

With every great wish, I remain,

Zhevotnya

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to you...and those you hold dear!...

I am tempted to ignore their summons, as I don't think a judge would issue an arrest warrant for a 68-year-old, decorated, (four purple hearts...and still...one "broken,") 100% combat-disabled veteran, (who is sitting in a wheelchair as he writes this tome,) recovering from a broken pelvis and left hip, due to an accident in late August of this year. Should I even bother to show up in court?
They may just rule against you and send code enforcement out to "clean up the blight" and send you the bill, possibly even tacking a lien onto your home (if you own) or bank account/tax returns etc.. for any outstanding fees.. They care about their laws and rules and money more than their people.

(I have 3 non running boats in various states of disrepair in my drive.. they require I pay a county luxury tax on the full retail value yearly in addition to and separate from the state motor vehicle registration fee.. and have indeed placed a lien against my home once for not paying $39!)
I *might* send a registered letter stating your condition for travel and such maybe request to appear by phone (or computer) or see what if any arrangement they are able to make as opposed to just not showing up.. which is essentially forfeiture and you really cannot often "win" by ignoring something.

I'm sorry the freedoms you fought and sacrificed for are not all they've cracked up to be. Still, thank you for trying! :hugs

I hope you continue to recover from your injuries and experiences and that you do find peace! :fl

That’s our screwed up government for you. Let rioters and looters go free but heaven forbid you have chickens the bring you a little bit of happiness and fresh eggs. I am convinced the government really doesn’t want us to have anything. Sad that the good old USA is turning into a 💩 pile. Just my opinion of course.

Find a ride. You cannot just "not show up". If you have an attorney perhaps the attorney or an associate can come and pick you up.

I would also ask the attorney if, since this was already a precedent, if your court costs could be waived.

I am in Tuscola County and I know if you reach out to the veterans they will reach back. Contact your local VFW.

I think a person who is disabled needs to show up even with an attorney because you give them a visual of a walker or wheelchair.

You also need to get a copy of the first letter from the psychiatrist if you don't still have the original. If they had sent you a letter with their decision the last time, bring it in. Your attorney would know all this.

Thanks to all for your words of good advice and moral support. I showed up in court at a very "inconvenient" 7:58 a.m. on Monday morning, (as it said on my "defendant's copy,") only to be told by the court clerk that I didn't need to be there! She said the notice I received was intended for my and the township's attorney to "put their heads" together and come to an agreement. (I'll keep you posted...) Thanks again.

Zhevotnya

Hello all,

My "behind the times," township, (Bangor, Bay County, Michigan,) is still proceeding to charge me, (in court,) with violation of their "blight" ordinance! I own five boats, (all of which are now stowed for the winter on my 80' x 60' asphalt "parking pad,") and only eight chickens, in a "way over-sized" coop. I had 18 chickens back in 2016, and the "then" township code-enforcement person cited me for "keeping livestock," in violation of township ordinance "blah, blah, blah." So, being a 100% combat-disabled veteran, I was given a letter from both my V.A. psychologist and therapist stating: Keeping chickens as "support animals" is essential to the veteran's continued recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder, manic depression, survivor's guilt, and bi-polar disorder. It also gives him a reason to "get out of bed" in the morning, instead of worsening his sensitive psychological condition by over-sleeping. I "hand-delivered" a copy of that letter to the "then" township code-enforcement official, (essentially telling him to "put that in your pipe and smoke it," and I never heard back from them...until now!
Before I started keeping chickens in 2016, I asked all of my neighbors, (even three houses away,) if they had any objection to my housing chickens in a coop attached to my garage? They all voiced no objections, until now. As you may have guessed, I have not only a new neighbor, but also a new township code-enforcement officer. He cited me in violation of having "too many" recreational vehicles, (from a 30-foot houseboat, down to a 14-foot fishing boat,) and keeping "unauthorized" livestock. I spoke to him by phone, and informed him of the letter from 2016, to which he quickly replied, they have "no record" of any such letter! So, I simply asked my V.A. psychiatrist, (the same one who penned the original letter,) if he could send me a similar one, which he did. I again "hand-delivered" the letter to the township supervisor, and kindly requested that he make a copy and return the original to me. (He instead summoned two of his co-workers into a side office, out of my line of sight.) After five minutes of their unintelligible "discussion," I asked the receptionist to summon him back. I informed him that (according to my attorney,) mine is a case of "past precedent," which means if you've permitted something in the past, you cannot suddenly prohibit it in the present. As soon as I mentioned my attorney's name, (he's very well-known in Bay County,) his "attitude" took a complete 180! He said our "township counsel" will be "reaching out" (what an over-used phrase,) to you. So, I ambled off with my walker, and my original copy in hand, stating, "It's a done deal...past precedent rules...don't expect to see me in court!"
Now, I've received a court order, demanding that I appear in court on both the "blight," (too many boats?,) and "keeping livestock" violations. I am tempted to ignore their summons, as I don't think a judge would issue an arrest warrant for a 68-year-old, decorated, (four purple hearts...and still...one "broken,") 100% combat-disabled veteran, (who is sitting in a wheelchair as he writes this tome,) recovering from a broken pelvis and left hip, due to an accident in late August of this year. Should I even bother to show up in court? I only have one eye, and cannot see well enough with my remaining one to hold a driver's license. Which means I have to use either my part-time housekeeper/caregiver at my expense or take an expensive taxi ride to and from the courthouse. Any sincere advice or opinions are greatly welcome.

With every great wish, I remain,

Zhevotnya

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to you...and those you hold dear!...
I'm truly sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your township. It sounds like you've been through a lot, and your service to the country is commendable. Dealing with legal matters can be overwhelming, especially when it seems like there's a lack of understanding or acknowledgment of your circumstances.

While I am not a legal expert, I can offer some general suggestions. It might be in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in property and local ordinance issues. They can provide you with personalized advice based on the specific details of your case. Given the information you've shared, it seems you have a strong argument based on past precedent and the support letters from your V.A. psychiatrist.

Ignoring a court summons may not be advisable, as it could lead to further complications. It's generally recommended to attend court hearings and present your case. If you are unable to physically attend, you may want to discuss this with your attorney to explore alternative options, such as providing a written statement or having a representative appear on your behalf.

Again, I'm not a legal professional, but seeking legal counsel is a crucial step to navigate through this situation successfully. I wish you the best of luck in resolving these matters, and I hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving despite the challenges.

Back
Top Bottom