Apparently it didn't work, Now I've got a problem...

Just out of curiosity? If you did not have time for the chicks, why did you bother? Should have just broke her brood and been done with it. There is no guarantee that any broody is going to be a good mother...

Quote:
I'm afraid you didn't wait long enough. She has to sit for 3 weeks before she gets chicks... she wasn't expecting any so soon and probably views them as intruders of her nest.

What are you going to do with the chicks? Do you have a brooder? Wish I could help you!

Last edited by a moderator:
First wrong thing: 4 or 5 days is to little time .She has to be over the eggs at least 15 to 18 days. Second. Do this by nigth or very late ,almost without ligth. And an Important thing. Broody Hens LISTEN the chicken voices BEFORE they hatch. When I do that I put the chickens in a carton box next to the hen (she can not see it ) and she is going to learn their pips. And after an hour or less you carefully, place them one by one under her.

Quote:
I guess the best answer I can offer to this question is,
(and please understand that this is with all due respect),...
is to read my initial thread, and hopefully,
between that thread,... and my original post in this thread,... it will make sence.

I'm just trying to do what is best for my broody hen "Goldie",
and now,
What the best thing is for these 2 extra chicks.

I'm really trying here folks.

Quote:
I really wish this advice would have been pointed out in my original thread/question.
I wouldn't be in the predicament that I find myself in tonight if I'd known this.

Thanks for all the help. I honestly DO appreciate what everyone is trying to do to help.
Yes, i have tossed together a crude brooder box, with chick starter food, water with some cider vinegar, and a heat lamp.

Hopefully the chicks will make it through the night, and I can better deal with them,... build a more appropiate brooder,... tommorow morning.

I can just hear your frustration, and please don't let all this get you down. I started thinking of getting 2 hens and have a great coop and tractor, because I heard raising chickens was soooo easy, but then I see on there are hundreds of thousands of responses to questions on this site alone. Best of luck on this, and my heart goes out to you.

I know you probably don't want to brood chicks at this time but that is your option. Chicks don't require that much care just warmth food and water. Check on them a few times a day is all that's required.
P.S good luck with the moody broody.

the night time attempt at introducing the chicks did not appear to be going too well, so the chicks got moved back to the brooder. Her grumpy attitude pretty much decided that for me, as I'm positive she would have immediately killed the chicks if I left them to her.

Now we have 2 more baby chicks to care for,
and Goldie is just being a , uhmm,
Errr,......
Well lets just say that "Witch" isn't quite as accurate, as a rhyming, similarly descriptive word.

Today Goldie has moved out from the nesting box she has been in for the past 5 or 6 days, and I think that is due to I had removed all the eggs from under her.
She has now moved over to the "Next Door" nesting box, where the other hens have continued to lay their eggs.
I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a p.i.t.b. until she breaks her broodiness.

Quote:
If you're inclined to try to break her of her broodiness, try putting her in a wire-bottomed cage (bird cage, rabbit hutch, etc.) for several days to a week. The cool air circulating under her should chill her motherly instincts. It usually works.

I had the same problem, my broody wouldn't accept the 2 chicks I bought her even though I did it at night (I didn't know that is had to be at least 15 days), I sold the chicks to this guy that brings them to crippled children as pets, and I put the broody on the roost in-between two hens lower in the pecking order, after 2 days of that she is no longer broody and the chicks are living a nice meaningful life.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom