Apple tree leaves and peach tree leaves

Grayfeather22

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
Are apple tree leaves (paradise apple to be exact) or peach tree leaves toxic to chickens? I know apple seeds and perhaps peach pits are. Does any one know?

Are you considering chopping these leaves up, and use as feed,,?? Or is your concern,,, that the fallen leaves will poison your chickens??
If it is the latter,, then do not have those worries.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Are you considering chopping these leaves up, and use as feed,,?? Or is your concern,,, that the fallen leaves will poison your chickens??
If it is the latter,, then do not have those worries.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Yes i am concerned about the fallen leaves or even if they jump up to peck and eat the leaves off the trees.

Let me put your mind into the comfort zone. :hugs
Chickens do know what to eat, and what not to on their own. They are smarter in that department than what we give them credit.
Let me explain what happens in my flock. In my backyard, there a few poisonous plants around. Hard to list all of them, but here are the major ones. Daylillies, Holly, and Yew. My chickens scratch thru the Dayliily flower beds, Hide under the Holly Bushes, as well as hang around, and under the Yew. Then during summer, I container grow tomatoes. They will snatch ripe tomatoes off the plants, but newer ate the leaves. The NIGHTSHADE family of plants is toxic. That includes tomatoes, and potatoes. (just the green portion leaves). I also do encounter Deadly Night Shade. A weed that likes to grow in my chain-link fence. I do pull those out BTW, but not from fear for my chickens.,,,,,, but children. I also encounter Pokeweed. I also pull those plants out. They are pretty and decorative, and some folk in certain areas do know how to cook the non toxic portions as Polk Salad. Just not for me.

So now we come to the question: so how do some chickens eat things that are poison.
I do not have a specific answer to that unless I would view their situation and environment, and housing.
Example: chickens are contained in a barren run, and the only thing green growing, is a poisonous weed that is creeping thru their fence enclosure. Then they may try and eat that green.
Now to answer the apple seed and peach pit question. Yes those 2 do contain natural cyanide, but you would need such a large quantity of these that it is not natural to happen. I throw out my apple cores to my chicken regularly. I am not sure if they eat the seeds or not. I also only throw out quantities from apples, that my family eats. In over 20+ years of doing such, have not had any bad incidents related with chickens eating poison. I only keep chickens as pets, and they all live long lives. My current Senior chicken will be 10 years old in April.
Hoping that my explanation gives you some peace of mind.☮️

Let me put your mind into the comfort zone. :hugs
Chickens do know what to eat, and what not to on their own. They are smarter in that department than what we give them credit.
Let me explain what happens in my flock. In my backyard, there a few poisonous plants around. Hard to list all of them, but here are the major ones. Daylillies, Holly, and Yew. My chickens scratch thru the Dayliily flower beds, Hide under the Holly Bushes, as well as hang around, and under the Yew. Then during summer, I container grow tomatoes. They will snatch ripe tomatoes off the plants, but newer ate the leaves. The NIGHTSHADE family of plants is toxic. That includes tomatoes, and potatoes. (just the green portion leaves). I also do encounter Deadly Night Shade. A weed that likes to grow in my chain-link fence. I do pull those out BTW, but not from fear for my chickens.,,,,,, but children. I also encounter Pokeweed. I also pull those plants out. They are pretty and decorative, and some folk in certain areas do know how to cook the non toxic portions as Polk Salad. Just not for me.

So now we come to the question: so how do some chickens eat things that are poison.
I do not have a specific answer to that unless I would view their situation and environment, and housing.
Example: chickens are contained in a barren run, and the only thing green growing, is a poisonous weed that is creeping thru their fence enclosure. Then they may try and eat that green.
Now to answer the apple seed and peach pit question. Yes those 2 do contain natural cyanide, but you would need such a large quantity of these that it is not natural to happen. I throw out my apple cores to my chicken regularly. I am not sure if they eat the seeds or not. I also only throw out quantities from apples, that my family eats. In over 20+ years of doing such, have not had any bad incidents related with chickens eating poison. I only keep chickens as pets, and they all live long lives. My current Senior chicken will be 10 years old in April.
Hoping that my explanation gives you some peace of mind.☮️
Thank very much for your answer and giving me peace of mind. I too only keep Chickens as pets and do everything i can to protect them to make sure they live a long happy life. :)

Back
Top Bottom