April Hatch Along

Pics
Do you think that this could affect the hatch rates a lot or not. I have only been getting 4-5 chicks per 20 chicken eggs.

I doubt it would affect the hatch rates a lot, but it might affect some if you are storing the eggs awhile. How long do you store the eggs before setting them in the incubator?

Ended up hatching 7 of the 10 turkey eggs that went to lockdown

Took my turner out bumped humidity up to 70% one of the eggs I wasnt sure about blew up.

Oh no, thats awful!! How many more do you have in the incubator? I had to toss two last time I candled, one clear one early quitter that I hadn't been positive about. I have a couple more that look like they might be quitters, one being the one with the air sac on the side of the egg :-( tomorrow is my day 14 candle so if they still don't look right I think I will toss them, rather not have one explode. Hope the rest of your hatch goes well!

Day 4 after setting some shipped eggs from Riggins Fancy Chickens in Idaho! Just started turning last night. Anxiously awaiting candling time around day 7. Marans and olive eggers so incubating at 99.4F and 40% humidity. nervous!

Day 4 after setting some shipped eggs from Riggins Fancy Chickens in Idaho! Just started turning last night. Anxiously awaiting candling time around day 7. Marans and olive eggers so incubating at 99.4F and 40% humidity. nervous!

Shipped eggs provide some of the most nerve wracking hatching experiences!! The main thing to remind yourself is that it's not your fault when strange things happen related to shipping. It sounds like you are conscientiously making sure to give them optimal conditions - so give yourself lots of slack when it comes to candling results. There will be some with problems, but you are doing things right.

Aannndddd....we have pips!! I was totally caught off guard! I walked by the incubator and heard chirping!! Sure enough, 5 beautiful cracks in 5 beautiful shells!! (And a couple were exactly on my "x marks the spot I think they just might pip" markings!)

#2 ducky has small external pip. #1 is ready for a friend other than it's stuffed horse.
Yay! Good luck with duckling number two.

Good luck with your incubation and hatch!

Aannndddd....we have pips!! I was totally caught off guard! I walked by the incubator and heard chirping!! Sure enough, 5 beautiful cracks in 5 beautiful shells!! (And a couple were exactly on my "x marks the spot I think they just might pip" markings!)
Nice! I had one that did that. I was like "how did it know?"

Back
Top Bottom