April Hatch Along

Pics
Every time I hear how much people spend on buying rare breed hatching eggs and then having them shipped, I am reminded of the following:

How to know if you are ready to buy shipped hatching eggs:
Step 1: Wait for a windy day
Step 2: Get a large bushel basket
Step 3: Fill bushel basket with $20 bills
Step 4: Go outside into a large field
Step 5: Throw handfuls and fistfuls of dollars into the air, watching them flutter and fly away
Step 6: Did that feel good?  If yes, then you are ready to buy shipped hatching eggs.

Some of my absolute favorite birds were hatched from shipped eggs.

As of tonight..I have 14 healthy Bantam Cochin babies in the brooder
love.gif
3 were really struggling...gave them some nutria drench and watched over them all night! So worth it because they are doing great today! Will post pics in a day or two..exhausted and want to get good pics
big_smile.png
Congrats to the new babies.....and good luck to those still waiting! & days until the ducks start
celebrate.gif

Some of my absolute favorite birds were hatched from shipped eggs.
I believe you! It is often impossible to find specific breeds or good quality within a reasonable driving distance, so shipped eggs are the only option. Its just so expensive when half or more of those eggs don't hatch.

I now have seven adorable 55 Flowery Hens!!

Congratulations!! Adorable chicks!!!

I feel like, in this case I have a responsibility to the greater hatching egg community to be a tad confrontational with the seller (way outside my comfort zone). This was a do-over shipment because the first one took 13 days longer than the PO said to deliver them - they were a stinking mess that I didn't even have the stomach to unwrap (in fact, the post office had Saran wrapped the whole box, it was so bad). But, even this second time, the seller still did not do as I requested and have a "Call for pick-up" placed on the box, so they came to my door today. They also packed no extras. I want to just send them a whole bunch of BYC links and say, "If you promise to read these and follow their instructions, I won't write a scathing review of how terrible you were to deal with!"
I' have never had a broken egg with BYC shippers. I have zero hatches. But those were erroneously shipped from WA to GA to CA or lost for 2 weeks. All those have sent replacement eggs.

Ebay - I've had broken eggs and bad hatches, and have had replacement eggs offered by all, and some have accepted my shipping procedure suggestions and I've gotten good eggs. But I've never had anything that looks like the messes tha were just posted. I would definitely ask the seller to send new eggs!!!

Every time I hear how much people spend on buying rare breed hatching eggs and then having them shipped, I am reminded of the following:

How to know if you are ready to buy shipped hatching eggs:
Step 1: Wait for a windy day
Step 2: Get a large bushel basket
Step 3: Fill bushel basket with $20 bills
Step 4: Go outside into a large field
Step 5: Throw handfuls and fistfuls of dollars into the air, watching them flutter and fly away
Step 6: Did that feel good? If yes, then you are ready to buy shipped hatching eggs.
Like I said, I've had horrible hatches, but I've also had AWESOME 100% hatches. The condition the box arrives says a LOT about how successful the hatch will be.

30 blue marans being delivered on Wednesday. Lets hope that they were packed well.

Best wishes to you. Those pics that were posted scare me! I'm sending happy thoughts for your blue Marans. Some of the French Copper Marans I just hatched were blue! The guy sold them as Black, but told me that he'd just put his blue rooster in the pen too, so small chance of blues. Well, 3/5 were blue!

Best wishes to you. Those pics that were posted scare me! I'm sending happy thoughts for your blue Marans. Some of the French Copper Marans I just hatched were blue! The guy sold them as Black, but told me that he'd just put his blue rooster in the pen too, so small chance of blues. Well, 3/5 were blue!
Nice, that was lucky. The seller of mine said that about 90-95% will be blue. But mine aren't copper or french. I don't want the furry feet where I live since it is so muddy.

My Polish from @TJChickens hatched on the 22nd! I got 9 beautiful babies! Can anyone help with what colors they'll be? I'm not familiar with Polish chicks yet.
I THINK I have 2 white crested blues, 2 splash, 1 blue (with 1 or 2 white feathers in it's crest) and 3 white crested blacks. I have no idea about the chick in the 3rd pic, or any of them, really. I'm just guessing! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom