Apron/skirt vs hardware cloth floor?

debonatrix

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Should I do a skirt/apron around the outside of the the run or hardware cloth as the floor of the run? Pros and cons of each?

Pros of doing an apron:
- most likely cheaper
- most likely easier to install and maintain
- should keep out the majority of digging predators/pests
- no risk of chickens cutting their feet on the wire, and nothing restricting them from digging

Pros of doing an all wire floor:
- if you have a severe issue with tunneling pests like groundhogs, gophers, it may be the only way to keep them out

Should I do a skirt/apron around the outside of the the run or hardware cloth as the floor of the run? Pros and cons of each?
My anecdotal experience only: I live in Northern Florida in the middle of 40 acres of woods where we have a lot of predation. I didn't keep chickens for several years because of the major losses I had with predation (multiple full flocks).

A tactic that has worked for me is using 4 feet of hardware mesh and an 18 inches (Thanks Killerbees:D) apron around the outside of the run and coop. Chicken wire is applied first, top to bottom, prior to hardware mesh installation.

We've had raccoons, opossums, bobcats, hawks, and some other animals I couldn't easily identify on our game cams attempt to get into the run/coop without success.

Our dogs I also count in the list of predators as they've never been trusted around young birds (when they're mature birds, they leave them alone, but chicks and teens, they will kill). Our dogs have also tried to claw through and haven't had any success. They've finally and nearly almost given up on trying.

I haven't put hardware mesh on the inside of the pen because the birds love to dig and dust bathe.

Again, only my personal experience. Good luck!

Last edited:
My pics didn't upload - sorry about that. This was prior to installing another "coop module" to the run. They now have a nearly identical same sized space attached as a second run to the first run (2nd pic).

Attachments

• Coop2.jpeg
    Coop2.jpeg
    958.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Coop3.jpeg
    Coop3.jpeg
    964.4 KB · Views: 42
My anecdotal experience only: I live in Northern Florida in the middle of 40 acres of woods where we have a lot of predation. I didn't keep chickens for several years because of the major losses I had with predation (multiple full flocks).

A tactic that has worked for me is using 4 feet of hardware mesh and an 18 foot apron around the outside of the run and coop. Chicken wire is applied first, top to bottom, prior to hardware mesh installation.

We've had raccoons, opossums, bobcats, hawks, and some other animals I couldn't easily identify on our game cams attempt to get into the run/coop without success.

Our dogs I also count in the list of predators as they've never been trusted around young birds (when they're mature birds, they leave them alone, but chicks and teens, they will kill). Our dogs have also tried to claw through and haven't had any success. They've finally and nearly almost given up on trying.

I haven't put hardware mesh on the inside of the pen because the birds love to dig and dust bathe.

Again, only my personal experience. Good luck!
That is SUPER helpful. I think that's what I'll do. Thank you for sharing your experiences and photos - that makes tons of sense.

Pros of doing an apron:
- most likely cheaper
- most likely easier to install and maintain
- should keep out the majority of digging predators/pests
- no risk of chickens cutting their feet on the wire, and nothing restricting them from digging

Pros of doing an all wire floor:
- if you have a severe issue with tunneling pests like groundhogs, gophers, it may be the only way to keep them out
Thank you!! I was kind of worried that they might dig down and hurt themselves. I think the apron sounds more reasonable all around.

In addition to the possibility of the birds hurting their feet on a wire floor, I believe that frustrating animals natural instincts -- in this case the instinct to scratch and dig -- tends to have negative behavioral consequences over the long run.

an 18 foot apron

I'm pretty sure you meant 18 inches, not 18 feet. :D

I did hardware cloth for coop floor, under my foundation. AND for my run because my run for "littles," is open air with wood flooring. My run for big's is chain link with no apron, wood chips flooring. They free range. I think the answer to this question has everything to do with what your plan is for husbandry. If my acceptable predator risk level was extremely low I'd have both hardware cloth floor and apron on my big's run. If it was somewhat low, I'd have just apron. My level is Medium based on I've only lost 1 chicken to predation in 20years so I have neither.....

In addition to the possibility of the birds hurting their feet on a wire floor, I believe that frustrating animals natural instincts -- in this case the instinct to scratch and dig -- tends to have negative behavioral consequences over the long run.

You are correct - LOL. Thanks for catching :D

That totally makes sense. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom