Araucana chicks. 6 weeks old. What sex are they?

ImAussie

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
Australia
They are both about 6 weeks old. They’re British Araucana.

I keep changing my mind about whether each is roo or pullet.
Thinking the grey is roo based on the way the tail is growing? They grew their feathers and tails in at different rates. Would like for both to be pullets but likely both Roos because that’s my luck

I don’t have any prior experience with pea combs, so I have no idea what they look like early on.

I know the pics aren’t great, I’ve tried for several days to get the clearest possible of the wiggly little things.
The grey/blue cuckoo one is Marble.
The white one is Fluffy.

0B70A53D-DBC3-4304-B0BD-1F871C29EEE6.jpeg

BD610C58-94ED-416A-B4A0-315ED697E583.jpeg
C16F7CC4-E699-4A1A-A801-5493FFCE0D4D.jpeg
1A1ECFE8-D9FA-46AF-A9B5-75AD39FA4694.jpeg
D2423EB7-2515-41B4-8009-3C3AC114F4A4.jpeg
65A08BEB-E917-4EC4-B2C3-97B4704BD1D1.jpeg
63C14F3B-D270-419C-8C42-78706C29A87B.jpeg
F1D833FC-02D6-4E8A-B203-3A1FAB896175.jpeg
75F676DE-54C3-4A9F-9B72-D0157740D650.jpeg

I don’t think you have a definite rooster yet, the feathers on the tail are a little hard to see, but I don’t believe I see anything odd about it, why do you worry about the tail?
They just are shaped so differently to each other, combined with paranoia? And it'd be just my luck that they'd both be male because I don't have any coloured egg layers in my flock yet haha

Tails are not a good indicator of gender at this age. Peacombs are a bit tricky. Your birds look like pullets SO FAR. I find it difficult to get a true evaluation on these type of combs until minimum 8-10 weeks of age. Lighter colored birds such as yours also tend to have pinker combs in my experience, even the pullets. 😊

Tails are not a good indicator of gender at this age. Peacombs are a bit tricky. Your birds look like pullets SO FAR. I find it difficult to get a true evaluation on these type of combs until minimum 8-10 weeks of age. Lighter colored birds such as yours also tend to have pinker combs in my experience, even the pullets. 😊
Thank you! I'll keep observing them and see how we go. I'm sure I'll be posting again around the 10 week mark haha

I'm hoping for both to be pullets to get a couple of coloured egg layers into our flock

Those both appear to be pullets. By six weeks, even a sneaky cockerel should be showing much more orange and development in the comb. Those are also not araucanas. They're not even ameraucanas.

Araucanas have no tails, no crest, and they have ear tufts. Those are, as far as I can tell, some sort of Easter egger crossed with polish.

Araucana can be extremely tricky to sex, some cockerels are obvious at a young age but others can have you guessing for months. Right now they both looks like pullets but I might err on the side of caution with the white one.

Those both appear to be pullets. By six weeks, even a sneaky cockerel should be showing much more orange and development in the comb. Those are also not araucanas. They're not even ameraucanas.

Araucanas have no tails, no crest, and they have ear tufts. Those are, as far as I can tell, some sort of Easter egger crossed with polish.
British tailed/Australian Araucana have a different standard. Ours are meant to be tailed, crested and bearded

Those are pullets at this point. Don't see anything indicating otherwise.

American Standard for Araucana is rumpless and tufted, UK standard is tailed and crested. I'd LOVE to get my hands on UK araucana… I think they'd go great next to my US standard araucana!

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, here in Australia our Araucana don't have the same breed characteristics as in America. I'd hoped by calling them British Araucana it might prevent some of the confusion.
I agree that Marble especially sure does have some crazy hair going on though!

I'll keep an eye on Fluffy (the white one), s/he does get a good assertive look going on at times.
They're 7.5 weeks old now, so I'll post some updated pics in the near future

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, here in Australia our Araucana don't have the same breed characteristics as in America. I'd hoped by calling them British Araucana it might prevent some of the confusion.
I agree that Marble especially sure does have some crazy hair going on though!

I'll keep an eye on Fluffy (the white one), s/he does get a good assertive look going on at times.
They're 7.5 weeks old now, so I'll post some updated pics in the near future
Araucana are rare enough in the US that most people in the US don't realize there's such a difference between them around the world. They're both beautiful birds, but imho really two completely different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom