Araucana Rooster???

Chvywmn

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Berwick, ME
No pic.. Green as the grass and wondering if my darling Araucana is a boy?

I have seen no hens of her breed with any tailfeathers. This one has them and very noticable. Safe to assume??

Thanks,

For any one wandering is there bird a auracauna it is usually no your bird with the tail feathers is a americauna while the auracauna has not tail feathers at all they are a rumpless bird. both breeds have males and females

Thanks...

I was told this bird was an auracauna not americauna. That's why I was a bit confused. Does'nt really matter what it is, my whole family has taken great interest in them. Especially my autistic son!!
I am very interested in our little babies and want to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks for the information and I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes on!

4 RIR
1 Golden Red
1 Auracauna (Americauna?)
2 Silkie Bantum

Araucanas can hatch with tails even if both parents are rumpless. With Araucanas, gender has nothing to do with whether they have tail feathers or not.

Instead, when trying to tell male from female, I would look at the following four items:

Aggression:
When you try to pick them up, do they peck at your hand, or do they squat down? The submissive ones are usually females, the aggressive ones are usually males.

Size: Cockerels are often (though not always) a little bigger and have thicker legs and larger feet. By six weeks they may look gangly, whereas the females usually stay well-proportioned.

Combs: Cockerels combs are broader and start to redden earlier than pullets.

Feathering: By 6 weeks, if you lift up the feathers on the back, the cockerels will be growing in pointy saddle feathers (saddle feathers are not tail feathers -- they grow from the back), whereas the pullets will not.

P.S. If you got your birds from a feed store or hatchery, they're probably "Easter Egg Chickens" (colored egg layers with mixed backgrounds). If you got your birds from a breeder, it's more likely that you have Araucanas.

Last edited:
How old is the chicken? I have 5 Araucana pullets, and some of them went through a sort of phase where they had little tailfeathers, but as they got a couple of weeks older, the tailfeathers kind of bent over and the remaining feathers fluffed out--that is to say, they don't exactly have rumps now, but before their body feathers came in properly, they sort of looked like they had little rumps.

Back
Top Bottom