Araucana thread anyone?

Nice looking boy... Where did he come from? Is he pure Araucana? We might have to trade some hatching eggs
in the future. I plan on working on a Barred project. Will be a while though.

Last edited:
He is from my own breeding. His father is my blue araucana named Scott.

His mother is half barred rock, half white leghorn. She looks like a small barred rock but lays white eggs.The idea was to be able to add the barring gene but without adding brown eggs. I like the smaller size that the cross BR/LH produced. More inline with smaller size of the araucana. She is also my friendliest hen. So far so good. The cuckoo cockrel will be crossed with my blue pullets when they start laying. I should have barred/cuckoo pullets this fall.

This is my best blue pullet from my own breeding this last fall. I will use her and the blue tufted pulle tthat I bought from Cathy (to the right of Scott in the first picture with the nice rump).

lau.gif
Sorry. I read that Cathy has a nice rump!
You have nice chickens. I can only dream right now.

He is from my own breeding. His father is my blue araucana named Scott.

His mother is half barred rock, half white leghorn. She looks like a small barred rock but lays white eggs.The idea was to be able to add the barring gene but without adding brown eggs. I like the smaller size that the cross BR/LH produced. More inline with smaller size of the araucana. She is also my friendliest hen. So far so good. The cuckoo cockrel will be crossed with my blue pullets when they start laying. I should have barred/cuckoo pullets this fall.

This is my best blue pullet from my own breeding this last fall. I will use her and the blue tufted pulle tthat I bought from Cathy (to the right of Scott in the first picture with the nice rump).

Rumbull, your blues are magnificent. That hen has such lovely color! Will you please PM me if you are willing to sell fertile eggs? Thanks

LETHAL GENE:
I was always curious why APA accepted the double tufted rumpless without accepting the counter part the clean faced rumpless becuase of the lethal gene. I raised other birds like canaries and they accepted both the crested and the crest-bred(clean head) birds. Just like the ducks they have the crested and the regular without a crest. This I believe has hindered this variety very much since there are fewer birds available to show. IMO

LETHAL GENE:
I was always curious why APA accepted the double tufted rumpless without accepting the counter part the clean faced rumpless becuase of the lethal gene. I raised other birds like canaries and they accepted both the crested and the crest-bred(clean head) birds. Just like the ducks they have the crested and the regular without a crest. This I believe has hindered this variety very much since there are fewer birds available to show. IMO

There are a number of things in the Standard for the Araucana breed which leads me to think that it was not terribly well thought out. I don't know if there was just a big push to get it accepted and then the idea was to clean up the inconsistencies, or what. Of course, once the requirements make it into the standard, it seems that is next to impossible to get them changed to things that make more sense. But I agree wholeheartedly that the standard for our beloved breed is not very healthy for the long term and is directly responsible for the majorities of the difficulties experienced in trying to breed.

There are a number of things in the Standard for the Araucana breed which leads me to think that it was not terribly well thought out. I don't know if there was just a big push to get it accepted and then the idea was to clean up the inconsistencies, or what. Of course, once the requirements make it into the standard, it seems that is next to impossible to get them changed to things that make more sense. But I agree wholeheartedly that the standard for our beloved breed is not very healthy for the long term and is directly responsible for the majorities of the difficulties experienced in trying to breed.

isn't there a bearded and non bearded version for silkies too?

LETHAL GENE:

Think about how rare the tufted araucana would be if the rumpless cleanfaced was an accepted variety. There would probably have been a lot less people breeding them. I personally think there would be even less to show if the other variety was showable.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom