Araucana thread anyone?

Agreed.

If there is no mottling in BOTH parent's background then it is likely just baby white bits from being a split or a pure black. The first male looks to be a columbian or pretty red. The brown gal will be some form of duckwing, the other will look like my Josephine & Jos Jr. Black with bits of golden brown.

I'm pretty sure the black and white mottled cockerel is out of my hen India, she is solid black but has several white tipped feathers. She is the mother of Obi, my young rooster that is also all black, no red leakage and several white tipped feathers. Both India and Obi were in the black pen when this chick was created so if India is Mo+/mo and gave that to Obi, then their offspring could be mottled, correct?

What does it take to get mottled to stay mottled? Wieslaw of "The Coop" commented this cockerel would lose the mottling. If I bred this cockerel back to India, would that help or just make more mottled chicks that lose the mottle pattern??

I'm pretty sure the black and white mottled cockerel is out of my hen India, she is solid black but has several white tipped feathers. She is the mother of Obi, my young rooster that is also all black, no red leakage and several white tipped feathers. Both India and Obi were in the black pen when this chick was created so if India is Mo+/mo and gave that to Obi, then their offspring could be mottled, correct?

What does it take to get mottled to stay mottled? Wieslaw of "The Coop" commented this cockerel would lose the mottling. If I bred this cockerel back to India, would that help or just make more mottled chicks that lose the mottle pattern??
I would try breeding it back to India to see how it goes. If he got a copy of the Mottling gene from both of them then he should stay somewhat mottled. I have an adult mottled roo that looked like that and stayed mottled but with all over very tiny polka dots. I have also had them that have lost their mottling, so only time will really tell.

Check out this link.

Lanae

Cool link! Thanks for sharing it. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully it won't be more trouble trying to get decent mottling. My fear is that it will only mess up the solid blacks so I'm going to have to figure a way to isolate it and not incorporate mottling into all my blacks

Also, for those who have been wondering and asking me privately about the chocolate Araucana project, I have finally hatched a chocolate pullet from my project pen. The hen is black, double tufted/rumpless Araucana. The rooster a chocolate Orpington cross that is black but carries the chocolate gene. This chick can only be a pullet because of the way the chocolate gene works. It's sex linked/recessive.

She hatched this morning early, I was so paranoid that I was hoping too hard and she was not chocolate that I took her and her obviously black hatchmate out in the natural light to take a few pictures. This chick is rumpless and double tufted! An awesome start but now I want more ;)

I only know of 2 other breeders working on this same project but I haven't heard that they have hatched any chocolates yet so this pullet may be the first ever.

Cool! I love chocolate.
big_smile.png

I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. I've hatched several chicks from this pen, all black. The black pullets will be just black pullets and I'll sell those as mixed breed blue egg layers. The cockerels have a 50% chance of being chocolate carriers so then comes the issue of what to do with those. So I figure I'll cull for the best quality otherwise, like choosing for rumpless, tufts etc and do a few trial breedings in a pen with some single black hens of any breed so I don't waste my Araucana hens time. It will take some time but then any carriers will be re-evaluated and the best one won't be eaten.....

I have never heard that chocolate is sex-linked. It certainly is not in my Polish. Cuckoo is, of course, sex-linked in all breeds. Chocolate (dun) is just a modifier of black as is blue, with khaki being the equivalent of splash if the bird carries 2 chocolate genes. Chocolate is sex-linked in the Orpington? It sure isn't in the Polish. Might be a different locus, I suppose, in that breed.

Cindy,

Aris was asking how you were doing. He has hatched two rumpless tufted Araucana X Australorp chicks from your roo that you sent him.

Lanae

I just picked up my new sign for over the gate to my chicken yard. I have so many people coming to either take tours (4-H) or coming to buy birds, I figured I better get professional looking.

Here is the pullet that I am hoping to take to the show this fall as long as her other tuft grows back in. The quills are there, so I hope they come back in, in time. She is out of the birchen roo that Cathy now has, and a black hen that I just sold.

Here is a lovely pullet that is very small for a large fowl but comes out of my large fowl pen.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom