Araucana thread anyone?

The chocolate that smoothmule has I think is the true sexlink style chocolate. The chocolate in orps and some other breeds is a sexlinked recessive and it breeds true. I read about the project on the-coop last year, cool project.

So far when I candled last night there was only 1 egg that was bad for sure. A couple were iffy but had started forming so far. Only another 10 days or so until they hatch!

I have never heard that chocolate is sex-linked. It certainly is not in my Polish. Cuckoo is, of course, sex-linked in all breeds. Chocolate (dun) is just a modifier of black as is blue, with khaki being the equivalent of splash if the bird carries 2 chocolate genes. Chocolate is sex-linked in the Orpington? It sure isn't in the Polish. Might be a different locus, I suppose, in that breed.

Cindy,
Real chocolate is sex linked and recessive. The chocolate in Polish is based on dun. I have a lot of chocolate Serama's too and they are definitely sex linked/recessive and breed true.
Here is a recent Chocolate Serama chick I hatched, hens in this pen are all chocolates and my rooster in that pen is a chocolate carrier (split for chocolate).

Here are a few of my day old Chocolate Araucana project chick that I just took today

I have never heard that chocolate is sex-linked. It certainly is not in my Polish. Cuckoo is, of course, sex-linked in all breeds. Chocolate (dun) is just a modifier of black as is blue, with khaki being the equivalent of splash if the bird carries 2 chocolate genes. Chocolate is sex-linked in the Orpington? It sure isn't in the Polish. Might be a different locus, I suppose, in that breed.

Your Polish are dun. It's called chocolate but is genetically dun, and works like blue.

Chocolate as an actual true-breeding gene found in Orpingtons is indeed sex-linked.

ETA - spoke too late, but wow, gorgeous chick!

Last edited:
What is the skin color on the Orphington mix? The chick looks to have brown legs as well.
Very cool project! How nice that the choc chic is tufted!

Rumbull,

The skin is white, the rooster's legs are white, but since the mother of the chick's legs are very dark yellow with a little black over them this chick will have one gene for white skin and one for yellow. I'll breed this pullet to one of my best roosters and that will give me mostly yellow skinned chicks but they will still have the brown over the yellow. My Serama's are like that, yellow legs with a swarthy brown over the yellow.

The chocolate that smoothmule has I think is the true sexlink style chocolate. The chocolate in orps and some other breeds is a sexlinked recessive and it breeds true. I read about the project on the-coop last year, cool project.

So far when I candled last night there was only 1 egg that was bad for sure. A couple were iffy but had started forming so far. Only another 10 days or so until they hatch!

That's good to hear!

What would be the colors of the babies if my BBR roo mated with my duckwing and cuckoo hens?
The Cuckoo hens will produce sex linked chicks from the BBR rooster, the cockerels will all be barred (could be crele or black barred) and the hens probably black but may be BBR I guess. The BBR and duckwing cross will be sort of both mixed

Back
Top Bottom