Araucana thread anyone?

Hey Debi! I'm so glad you're here :)) I love these babies so much and some of them aren't even dry yet
lol.png

Lavenders would be so pretty! I've got 3 Lavender Ameraucana, love that color.

Here's 5 so far, the white isn't quite dry yet. I'm really happy to get a white, I didn't realize that might be one of the colors. Does anyone know (Debi?) if the dark ones are blue or black?
And the yellow and brown? That's what I was calling a Silver or Gold Duckwing. What's the proper color name for it?
Maybe the white isn't even white but will end up a different color?

Last edited:
I doubt it is white..... hopefully Wheaten
fl.gif

Chickmunk type will either be BBR or Duckwing.
The dark ones look Black but that could be the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks :) I bet they're black then, they're pretty dark. I'm good with that!
Another yellow chick was just hatched and the last one is wiggling and chipping away at its shell. This is really exciting to get 7 of the 8 in lockdown (assuming this last little one continues to hatch well).
Go give your chickens a few extra hugs from Aunt Mitzi
gig.gif

They did good! The one that died hadn't absorbed his yolk and died after he got a little chip of his shell off. There wasn't anything I could've done so that makes me feel a bit better.

I agree about some Araucana being friendly - my "Pip" is the only chicken my husband cares about because she makes herself such a little friend to him. Other Araucana are completely standoffish - I find they are one extreme or the other, but mostly on the good side. :)

OK veterans... I need your help. I have a weird eye infection/disease spreading through my flock. I added Sulmet to the water yesterday, and it doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone recognize it? What should I do? Here it is on my Araucana chick...

Chicken pinkeye?! I have no idea, to be honest.

At least in goats, oxytetracycline (available over the counter at TSC and other farm stores) can be used topically to treat contagious conjunctivitis. The antibiotic is administered directly to the eye in drop form, probably only one or two drops for a chicken. I also hear that you can use triple antibiotic ointment (the kind without painkiller) around the eye, I believe. Might want to double check on that. Either way, hitting the infection at the source and systemically should wipe it out.

Can you administer the sulmet directly to each chicken? A pain in the butt, I know, but that way you know for sure they are getting the correct dose.

Back
Top Bottom