Araucana thread anyone?

Sorry... neither of these two birds pictured are the little girl... I just got these off the internet as examples of what I am trying to understand... what do they mean by a"tuft". I will grab a picture of her tomorrow... she is NOT rumpless and has muff feathers/no tuft. Kind of confusing at first... She is a personable little thing so I don't care if she is a mix... just trying to understand the breed a little bit.
The "tufts" are real feathers that grow from a peduncle (small bit of skin) near the ears. The white one has "tufts".
The blue has a beard and muffs. That one looks Easter Egger. possibly Ameraucana.
Sounds like what you have is an Easter Egger, a mixed breed that hatcheries sell as EE/Araucana/Ameraucana. It's sadly a common mistake that people think they have Araucana's, because they have bought chicks listed as Araucana by a hatchery..... and they are not.

Sorry... neither of these two birds pictured are the little girl... I just got these off the internet as examples of what I am trying to understand... what do they mean by a"tuft". I will grab a picture of her tomorrow... she is NOT rumpless and has muff feathers/no tuft. Kind of confusing at first... She is a personable little thing so I don't care if she is a mix... just trying to understand the breed a little bit.

If she is Mufted not tufted, and tailed, unforntatly she is an EE and not an Araucana.

No problem if she is an easter egger... I needed a similar aged chick to a little rooster I am raising out... didn't want him to be alone and this ee chick was the closest in age. She is very adorable and I don't mind her being a mutt at all... I did wonder when the women told me she was an araucana... so I went home and looked up the breed and saw that tuft gene thing and of course had to follow that up with my questions... so thank you every one for your help.

Here is the little chickarina in question... haven't named her yet but the she and this particular roo like to be handled so I am happy. The plan is to spoil them both rotten so I can pick them up easily... I'm tired of chasing chickens. The ones I have now don't let me get near them...

No problem if she is an easter egger... I needed a similar aged chick to a little rooster I am raising out... didn't want him to be alone and this ee chick was the closest in age. She is very adorable and I don't mind her being a mutt at all... I did wonder when the women told me she was an araucana... so I went home and looked up the breed and saw that tuft gene thing and of course had to follow that up with my questions... so thank you every one for your help.

Here is the little chickarina in question... haven't named her yet but the she and this particular roo like to be handled so I am happy. The plan is to spoil them both rotten so I can pick them up easily... I'm tired of chasing chickens. The ones I have now don't let me get near them...

She doesn't look like an easter egger. Not sure what she looks like, could just be a mix of breeds. Where did she come from?

She doesn't look like an easter egger. Not sure what she looks like, could just be a mix of breeds. Where did she come from?
Classic coloring of the Easter Egger. That is what she is, she just didn't get the beard and muff that they normally have. Enjoy her, most EE's are great.

Quote:
I actually have two black ee's that I have had around for awhile... neither have a muff but they are healthy as oxes and lay more eggs than any one... we call them lefty and righty because they are both jet black with one white toenail... one has it on the left foot, the other on the right... or otherwise you can't tell them apart. This one looks to me she might have a muff. She is personable and that is all I care about. I do think it is nervy of people to pawn off mutt chickens as a breed... I got her at a chicken tail gate thing and as i said earlier... I didn't care about the breed, just needed something healthy looking to keep my little roo company... so she fit the bill. She is adorable and I will enjoy her.

Hatching never gets old, 2 lavenders and 1 Black split so far
jumpy.gif

just an updated photo of my silver duckwing pullet, Queenie -- she's 11 weeks now:

her left wing, visible here, has always drooped, ever since she hatched -- otherwise she's SO pretty!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom