Araucana thread anyone?

I took some pictures of my barred project birds. I have been hatching a lot of chicks this year. I have a few good prospects for the next years breeding. I have three nearly identical clean faced rumpless cockerels. I have one with small tufts. His barring is not as bright so I doubt he will be the keeper. I also have one blue barred cockerel. Because of the blue, his barring is very faint. I have kept him because he has the most color on this legs. Their barred father has already been culled. His araucana type was very good but I am breeding back to pure blood each generation. Once I had a dozen or so good prospects, he was dispatched. I will only keep one.

I am very pleased with the quality of the barring.

I have two black chicks that have the slow feathering gene. I have marked their legs to be able to identify them as they grow. They will breed along into this barred project to make the barring even more crisp.

I have one nice black tufted rumpless pullet that has made the cut this spring. The barred pullet behind her has developed a few tail feathers so not sure if I will keep her.

The black pullet was very nervous about the picture taking.

I took some pictures of my barred project birds. I have been hatching a lot of chicks this year. I have a few good prospects for the next years breeding. I have three nearly identical clean faced rumpless cockerels. I have one with small tufts. His barring is not as bright so I doubt he will be the keeper. I also have one blue barred cockerel. Because of the blue, his barring is very faint. I have kept him because he has the most color on this legs. Their barred father has already been culled. His araucana type was very good but I am breeding back to pure blood each generation. Once I had a dozen or so good prospects, he was dispatched. I will only keep one.

I have two black chicks that have the slow feathering gene. I have marked their legs to be able to identify them as they grow. They will breed along into this barred project to make the barring even more crisp.

I have one nice black tufted rumpless pullet that has made the cut this spring. The barred pullet behind her has developed a few tail feathers so not sure if I will keep her.

Coming along very nice !

Good morning , a newbie to the Araucana world thanks to Ray n Debi. I have three I hatched out on Memorial day. They are the funniest little trio. I'm really hoping for all girls , cause here on Long Island where I live I can't have Roos. They are free ranging in my back yard with my other girls and loving it. They have no problem pushing their way in to get treats unlike the hens that were born in April. I have a large variety of pretty girls....EEs , spitzenhauben , Russian Orloff , polish, rose comb bantam and the list goes on but if you ask, using chicken math, I only have 6.... Just 6....

Quote:

Three is not enough! More, More n' More!!!!!
Queenchick that is a shame. My brother doesn't live that far from you and he can have roos.

Very nice! I played with barred but all the projects became too much for me, we are getting too tired and not enough wind left for them all
old.gif

I will be replacing my main rooster in the blue/black pen this year. I have rotated 3 different roosters into one of the pens this year in an effort to get a good unrelated cockerel chick to use for next year’s breeding. In the process, I have hatched what I believe to be a Wheaten/BBR pullet. She hatched out solid yellow with just a black mark on the back of her head. I should have taken a picture of her as a chick but here she is now maybe 4-6 weeks old. (Time gets away from me.) She is tufted and rumpless.

I also have this chick that has hatched with the same black mark on the back of the head, so to know what the pullet looked like as a chick, solid yellow with this type of mark on the head. Could this second chick be mahogany wheaten? I have been selling everything that is not blue, black or barred as soon as they hatch. I know true wheaten is rare in araucana so I will hold onto these and sell a breeding pair if the second one is a roo.

I will be replacing my main rooster in the blue/black pen this year. I have rotated 3 different roosters into one of the pens this year in an effort to get a good unrelated cockerel chick to use for next year’s breeding. In the process, I have hatched what I believe to be a Wheaten/BBR pullet. She hatched out solid yellow with just a black mark on the back of her head. I should have taken a picture of her as a chick but here she is now maybe 4-6 weeks old. (Time gets away from me.) She is tufted and rumpless.

I also have this chick that has hatched with the same black mark on the back of the head, so to know what the pullet looked like as a chick, solid yellow with this type of mark on the head. Could this second chick be mahogany wheaten? I have been selling everything that is not blue, black or barred as soon as they hatch. I know true wheaten is rare in araucana so I will hold onto these and sell a breeding pair if the second one is a roo.

The darker one looks more like wild type but the first is definitely a wheaten or wheaten split

Here are some pictures I took this evening in the grow out pen.

This is one of the F1 cockerels from the chocolate project, not a whole lot to fix and he carries chocolate and is breeding now.'

Here are some pictures I took this evening in the grow out pen.

This is one of the F1 cockerels from the chocolate project, not a whole lot to fix and he carries chocolate and is breeding now.'

Nice blacks! The third one has such a black face as well. I like the picture with the chocolates in the background. Very cool project!

Nice blacks! The third one has such a black face as well. I like the picture with the chocolates in the background. Very cool project!
The picture with chocolate in the back is one of my Dun chocolate hens.
Here are the hens that produced those nice cockerels. And, these girls lay eggs
as blue as the Araucana's. They spent a little time in the pen with the Barred Hollands,
and guess what? The cockerel is breeding now and I have a couple of these hens
eggs, fertile by the Barred Holland in the incubator now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom