Araucana thread anyone?

I'm headed to the Ohio Nationals this weekend (as a spectator, I don't have anything to show), and I would like to pick up some leg bands while I'm there. What size bands do you guys use for your full-grown Araucana roos and hens? I plan to get the colored plastic numbered ones.

I love that I saw this on Facebook.
wink.png
I posted about how I couldn't get my girls to be hand fed! They are so cute!
I need to take a picture of them all climbing on me to eat out of my hand then, most all of them will come running and eat from my hand. There are a few that aren't that friendly but all the ones I raised are

Hi everyone, new to BYC but not chooks themselves although this our first serious attempt at breeding them, we've always bought sexed pullets. We hatched these 2 on the 4th August this year making them about 15weeks. Can you tell me if I have little ladies or gentlemen. We have seen them flare their neck feathers and act all tough and roostery but not 100% sure as I've heard people say hens will do it too sometimes. I am in Australia, which explains their tails.

Any info would be a great help. Thanks
big_smile.png

Hi everyone, new to BYC but not chooks themselves although this our first serious attempt at breeding them, we've always bought sexed pullets. We hatched these 2 on the 4th August this year making them about 15weeks. Can you tell me if I have little ladies or gentlemen. We have seen them flare their neck feathers and act all tough and roostery but not 100% sure as I've heard people say hens will do it too sometimes. I am in Australia, which explains their tails.

big_smile.png
they are some beautiful birds. I didn't realize that he British Auracana had crests or is that just an Aussie trait? A closeup of their combs would help. I am unfamiliar what the natural tail carriage of the breed is. In some breeds their tails would indicate a rooster but in others hens carry their tails high too. I think I can see the beginning of sickle feathers which would indicate a roo.

big_smile.png
They are roosters. A couple of things that tell me that from the photos. Their faces are very red for 15 weeks old. Pullets do not usually get red in the face until they are close to point of lay, which is about 5 to 6 months. Also they have a few of the curving tail feathers that hens do not get.

Lanae

they are some beautiful birds. I didn't realize that he British Auracana had crests or is that just an Aussie trait? A closeup of their combs would help. I am unfamiliar what the natural tail carriage of the breed is. In some breeds their tails would indicate a rooster but in others hens carry their tails high too. I think I can see the beginning of sickle feathers which would indicate a roo.

Thank you for your replies.
They definitely behave like young roosters. I will try to get some close up shots of their face and comb/crest for you although they don't stand still for long. It seems that the crest is part of the British line. They are pretty, my girls call them the purple chicks.

This is a pic of them just a couple of days old.

Back
Top Bottom