Araucana thread anyone?

Well, I have a handful of eggs in lockdown, but only 1 -3 look good.... starting Friday I'll be glued to that box!

I just found an ad on CL, somebody has 3 cockerels for sale, from Edd Sheppard's Hatchery. I'm going to buy all 3 and she'll ship them to me. She's going to send me pics of them.

There were 2 pics on CL, 1st roo looks roughly like a really dark Silver Duckwing (missing the patch), rumpless and clean faced.

2nd roo looked sort of like a Golden Duckwing, he does have a patch, rumpless and tufted.

3rd roo is cream based with red and black, he is tailed and tufted.

I know, it's a rough start, but at least it is a start! Now if I could just get a pullet
barnie.gif
I'm sure if my eggs hatch, they'll all be roosters! LOL....

Here are the boys I'll be getting in a week or so.... they were hatched from Edd Sheppard lines.

This guy is clean faced, I think he looks Birchen.....

This one looks like a duckwing, sort of.... he is tufted, but his legs are not the right color

This 3rd guy is a mystery to me. He's tufted, but partially tailed. The leg color is ok, I think....

Here are his parents:

I also just ordered 3 straight run chicks from Ann Charles....can't wait for those! I hope I get BBR.... Somebody on CL has chicks for sale in SoCal, we're trying to figure out a way for me to get them too. Maybe I drive down and meet them somewhere along I-5.....

Here are the boys I'll be getting in a week or so.... they were hatched from Edd Sheppard lines.

This guy is clean faced, I think he looks Birchen.....

This one looks like a duckwing, sort of.... he is tufted, but his legs are not the right color

This 3rd guy is a mystery to me. He's tufted, but partially tailed. The leg color is ok, I think....

Here are his parents:

I also just ordered 3 straight run chicks from Ann Charles....can't wait for those! I hope I get BBR.... Somebody on CL has chicks for sale in SoCal, we're trying to figure out a way for me to get them too. Maybe I drive down and meet them somewhere along I-5.....
I am not an expert but the 1st one definitely is a cross, not pure araucana. araucanas don't have big wattles. the other 2 have yellow legs and should be green. the mystery one might be a cross too as well as his father (looks like he has a modified pea comb). if his father is not pure araucana it explains everything.

sorry, be careful when you buy from an unknown source.

I'm sorry, I realize now I wasn't being very articulate... All 3 of the cockerels were hatched from Edd Sheppard lines. Edd has been breeding Araucanas (only) for 40+ years, like Gary Ramey.

I know that Edd also keeps Collonca and Quetro chickens (the ancestors of Araucanas). - I think the wattles must be a throw back to the Quetro side of the family. His website says that starting next spring he'll be free ranging a small flock of Quetros......

Roo #3, when I said he is "a mystery to me," I was referring to his color pattern
wink.png
. He's also an Edd Sheppard bird. The two small pics below are his parents, just showing them so people could see what he came from...

I know they have faults, but I can't find any of these birds anywhere. I've spent $300 on eggs that haven't even pipped. So, I found this small breeder in Idaho that had 3 cockerels for sale, and she'll even ship them to me. So I bought all 3.

Separately, I bought a trio of straight run chicks from another breeder. I'll get them later this fall.

I'm also communicating with a breeder in SoCal, that has some chicks advertised - nice quality birds. But he can't ship out of state. So we're trying to find a way for me to get the chicks he has to offer. I would buy them all....

Sorry for all the confusion.

I think I'm still confused, either that or this ear infection is messing with me more than I think...

I thought Edd kept his colors separate? Are these directly hatched from his eggs or are they from birds that were hatched from his eggs then bred together mixed up or with other lines?

You're in for work, but I've worked with less than that... personally, I would not use the 3rd, too much of a mess all around I feel... although clean faced and long wattled, the 1st looks like he could have some good points to pass on... the 2nd is workable as well, but the eye color really bothers me, lol...

I know how desirable it is to have good tufts, but don't let that quest make you pass over a better typed clean face... I'd much rather have a better type, color and shape with a clean face than just having tufts...

I hope you have luck in either your 3 chicks or getting ones from SoCal...

LOL, yeah, I'm confused too! ..... Thank you for the input, I have no idea myself, so I just grabbed all 3, hell, at this rate they may be the only ones I ever get, LOL!
lol.png

Yes, Edd does keep colors separate, and this seller just hatched these guys directly from him in May this year.... so I'm confused as to why they look so scrambled....

I'm excited about getting Anne's chicks, I just hope at least one of them has a tuft to work with...... And, I'm really hoping to get those from SoCal. If I wouldn't catch flack from my DH, I'd jump in the car and start driving south! Hopefully we can work out something, he says his birds are nice and from good stock - I wondered if he got his stock from Cash....

Let me ask you a question: Is it easier to breed in some tufts, or to breed out a partial tail?

Back
Top Bottom