Araucana thread anyone?

Much easier to breed in tufts than it is to breed out any tail, partial or full... in fact, I have a pair of bantams that are completely and totally rumpless, yet their offspring that inherited the hens tufts are all tailed... every single one, and not partials, full tails... didn't expect that at all...

So far though, with Apollo in my lf pen, he is throwing great tufts to his offspring... and 100% rumpless so far...

Personally, I would be a lot more picky about the quality of the cock than the quality of the pullets... to improve, you're either going to need multiple pens, or linebreed back to an excellent specimen... easier to do that with the cock than a pullet... jmo...

Ok, thank you, I really appreciate the input .... I may not use these guys after all! However, I do have multiple pens set up, so if I can get a pullet or two, I'll have something to start with....but I think I may just order another set of 3 chicks from Ann Charles.

Regarding the chicks in SoCal. I'm combing through CL to see if anybody is coming/going that direction. I'd pay them to pick up those chicks and bring them back up here.....

Just be careful... maybe see if there's anyone in NorCal that might be doing a trip? Either way, I wish you luck...

I do want to stress patience though... I had a rough start as well, dumped a lot of $$ into eggs and searched frantically as well... went through all kinds of ups and downs... but then I took a step back... not from the breed, but from my impatience... get your chicks, grow them out... see what you have... keep researching... make some contacts and keep in touch... there are a lot of fly-by-nighters to the breed, and many that just want a single perfect trophy bird... if they're truly a passion and you are dedicated, it will work out...

Ok, thank you, I really appreciate the input .... I may not use these guys after all! However, I do have multiple pens set up, so if I can get a pullet or two, I'll have something to start with....but I think I may just order another set of 3 chicks from Ann Charles.

Regarding the chicks in SoCal. I'm combing through CL to see if anybody is coming/going that direction. I'd pay them to pick up those chicks and bring them back up here.....

Your new guys look handsome to me. In my opinion, a person just has to enjoy the beauty of the birds, and appreciate and understand the specialness of each of them. Then, over time, eventually, you can cultivate toward the breed standard.

We purchased 30 eggs this year and only 4 hatched. One died after hatching. All three turned out to be roos! All that lived are rumpless and one has double tufts.

They are 5 months old now. They've changed a lot over the course of a few months. We've had to re-home 2 of the three due to city ordinances. We loved all the three boys. So far, I'd say they're a nice breed.

They were all from the same breeder, and they turned out so different. One was extremely tall and stocky and had stout yellow/green legs, one had humongous wattles & comb with gorgeous dark eyes and the sweetest face.

We kept the double tufted with black legs. He was the smallest, and we have small hens.

I think I'm still confused, either that or this ear infection is messing with me more than I think...

I thought Edd kept his colors separate? Are these directly hatched from his eggs or are they from birds that were hatched from his eggs then bred together mixed up or with other lines?

You're in for work, but I've worked with less than that... personally, I would not use the 3rd, too much of a mess all around I feel... although clean faced and long wattled, the 1st looks like he could have some good points to pass on... the 2nd is workable as well, but the eye color really bothers me, lol...

I know how desirable it is to have good tufts, but don't let that quest make you pass over a better typed clean face... I'd much rather have a better type, color and shape with a clean face than just having tufts...

I hope you have luck in either your 3 chicks or getting ones from SoCal...

I have 2 questions:

1. what is the eye colour araucanas should have?

2. I bought an araucana/ameraucana mix pullet for olive eggers. as her wattles grew big I took for granted she is just a kind of easter egger. can she be true green egger with such wattles? she has a big tail as well. her legs are whitish (she is splash).

Last edited:
I have 2 questions:

2. I bought an araucana/ameraucana mix pullet for olive eggers. as her wattles grew big I took for granted she is just a kind of easter egger. can she be true green egger with such wattles? she has a big tail as well. her legs are whitish (she is splash).
Eye color is supposed to be 'Bay', which means a reddish brown color.
You can't tell what color egg an Easter Egger will lay until she actually does lay. You can't tell just by looking.

Eye color is supposed to be 'Bay', which means a reddish brown color.
You can't tell what color egg an Easter Egger will lay until she actually does lay. You can't tell just by looking.

thanks.

my pullet is supposed to be an araucana/ameraucana mix - 100% green egger. but her wattles are a bit big while araucana and ameraucana hens almost have no wattles. I wonder if she can be araucana/ameraucana with such big wattles. can it be atavistic return?

Araucana/Ameraucana mix should be 100% blue, not green. And the pea comb does have a restricting effect on wattle development. If clean-faced birds, you may get some wattle development, but not a lot.

See, not much in terms of wattles at all. That is what the pea comb does. Add the gene for muffs, and the wattles disappear completely.

I have 2 questions:

I didn't think any Ameraucanas were ever imported to Europe?

thanks.

my pullet is supposed to be an araucana/ameraucana mix - 100% green egger. but her wattles are a bit big while araucana and ameraucana hens almost have no wattles. I wonder if she can be araucana/ameraucana with such big wattles. can it be atavistic return?

I'd have to look up your standards... US standards are different from the British standards, which I think yours would fall under...

And many well known, reputable Araucana breeders get green an/or shades of blue-green eggs... perfect egg color is one of the last things bred for...

Last edited:
I didn't think any Ameraucanas were ever imported to Europe?
I'd have to look up your standards... US standards are different from the British standards, which I think yours would fall under...

And many well known, reputable Araucana breeders get green an/or shades of blue-green eggs... perfect egg color is one of the last things bred for...

there are ameraucanas in greece. I saw a beautiful black pullet but she was not for sale.

these are my araucana/ameraucana mix (both rumpless and bearded):

these are araucanas, 1 hen and 1 roo, rumpless and clear faced:

this is my young trio, fernando and sweetie are rumpless and tufted and dulcie is tufted but she has a tail. they all came from a rumpless flock:

here is the pullet that is supposed to be araucana/ameraucana mix (with big wattles):

she came from the same place I got the other mixes (the first pics). I want to use her for olive eggers but I am not sure if she is pure green/blue egger. 2 of my hens lay greenish blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom