Araucana thread anyone?

Oh, I see him now! At first I thought it was another hen
hide.gif

So, you have 5 or 6 birds total? If you divide them by color, you'd have a nice start....

I have 6 birds, but 2 hens are not good layers so I keep them in different coops.

Unfortunately these are mixed colors. It's hard to say what the offspring will be. Looks
like there may be a BBR male, and buff Colombian male and the rest are a mix. Test breeding might only make things worse. But if your not worried about colors then try it.

they all come from the same coop with mixed colours. I guess I should not bother with colours. it would take years to get something out of it.

they all come from the same coop with mixed colours. I guess I should not bother with colours. it would take years to get something out of it.

Not necessarily... I did more with less within a year... the key is hatch as much as possible and grow them out at least until they're old enough to distinguish color/faults etc... cherry pick the best and keep going... you never know what you might get out of a hot mess... I almost scrapped my bantam Araucanas due to being an awful mess of colors... somehow I pulled out the cleanest hackled SDW cockerel many had ever seen... don't give up, it can be tons of work, but it's so worth it when your efforts get rewarded.... :)

Not necessarily... I did more with less within a year... the key is hatch as much as possible and grow them out at least until they're old enough to distinguish color/faults etc... cherry pick the best and keep going... you never know what you might get out of a hot mess... I almost scrapped my bantam Araucanas due to being an awful mess of colors... somehow I pulled out the cleanest hackled SDW cockerel many had ever seen... don't give up, it can be tons of work, but it's so worth it when your efforts get rewarded....
smile.png

thanks, I will wait till they start laying.

I would put them back in with the roos and get what eggs you can from them anyway....the more the better......

I haven't seen eggs from them for months. they must have some health issue. 1 of them goes to the nest but does not lay. 1 of her last eggs was a fairy egg with a drop of yolk. the other one started to lay in january then stopped and again in june then stopped again. I think she laid less than 20 eggs. not the girls for breeding.

I haven't seen eggs from them for months. they must have some health issue. 1 of them goes to the nest but does not lay. 1 of her last eggs was a fairy egg with a drop of yolk. the other one started to lay in january then stopped and again in june then stopped again. I think she laid less than 20 eggs. not the girls for breeding.

Agreed... even if you can get eggs viable for hatching I wouldn't want to breed that in case it's genetic and passes down to the offspring...

Oh yeah, I didn't know it was like that.... I used to have Salmon Faverolles. I bought a quad from somebody and one of the hens (she had crazy cool spots!) stopped laying right after I bought them. I was so disappointed.... but yes, you never know if something like that could be passed - assuming you hatched any of them...

I'm sorry about your girls....

Ok, I mentioned to RavynFallen that I had some pics of chicks, I'd like to know if anybody can tell me what color varieties they are - I may be buying the whole bunch, but I'd like to know what any of them are, if y'all can tell...

Ok, I mentioned to RavynFallen that I had some pics of chicks, I'd like to know if anybody can tell me what color varieties they are - I may be buying the whole bunch, but I'd like to know what any of them are, if y'all can tell...
Middle is a blue, 2 whites (no idea if they'll be clean whites, have to wait til they mature to see), 1 *might* be BBR, 3 others really look like mixed colors and the little one in the far back could be a few different things... I had one hatch out like that from my bantams, he surprised me and turned white with red leakage... unfortunately, we had a coop collapse in a storm and he was one that was caught in it... but anywyas, I thought he would be a blue duckwing color... :confused: Best guesses I got on those...

Back
Top Bottom