Araucana thread anyone?

I really like Ed too! When I buy my own property I would love to build up to a set up like his. On his Facebook page recently he mentioned that he is probably going to stop selling to the public. I hope I can get some birds from him first.

I'm pretty sure I am going to start with a few Araucana chicks from Chicken Scratch Poultry. They have good availability and are affordable ($14/chick). They are Nancy Utterbeck lines but since its a (small) hatchery they will be a mix of colors and quality, unlikely any tufts. Then if all goes well the first year or two I can start adding better and more expensive stock. I haven't been able to find much feedback online about their Araucanas, does anyone here have some?

I saw that Ed was retiring too. If I had the means, I would consider buying it. I'm hoping I can get some birds from him this year too. Still undecided if I want eggs or birds. I like the surprise element of eggs, but until I know I can hatch something successfully, I'm more interested in one of his breeding trios to get started.

We bought a new house last summer. 2.8 acres and came with a coop and run.
wee.gif

Experienced chicken farmers have told us we can handle a dozen with our current coop/run. I want to build more coops and runs, so I can manage several flocks like Ed.
tongue.png

I really like Ed too! When I buy my own property I would love to build up to a set up like his. On his Facebook page recently he mentioned that he is probably going to stop selling to the public. I hope I can get some birds from him first.

I'm pretty sure I am going to start with a few Araucana chicks from Chicken Scratch Poultry. They have good availability and are affordable ($14/chick). They are Nancy Utterbeck lines but since its a (small) hatchery they will be a mix of colors and quality, unlikely any tufts. Then if all goes well the first year or two I can start adding better and more expensive stock. I haven't been able to find much feedback online about their Araucanas, does anyone here have some?

I purchased Hatching eggs from them once. I had a good hatch rate, but I don't remember being particularly impressed with the chicks. I've gotten much nicer stock from other breeders.

The minimum order for chicks is 16. So that many of their chicks will set you back $224 plus shipping. Ouch. You can buy mature pairs or trios tufts for much less than that, even shipped.

You could get so many hatching eggs too, if you're into incubating.

That's a good point Stacykins. The more I look around the more hopeful I am I'll be able to get some birds shipped from a real breeder (or maybe drive to Colorado or Texas to pick up). If anyone here is in the biggest Araucana Facebook group, please accept my join request lol. I've been trying to get in there for months

I'm really hesitant to go down the fertile eggs route. Between the already lower hatch rates from Araucana and the difficulty of getting shipped eggs handled properly it seems more cost effective (and less frustrating) to ship chicks or adult birds. I guess it's pretty seductive to think of the possibility of getting a truly amazing chick from eggs though. I might get sucked in after I have an established flock :p

I'm really hesitant to go down the fertile eggs route. Between the already lower hatch rates from Araucana and the difficulty of getting shipped eggs handled properly it seems more cost effective (and less frustrating) to ship chicks or adult birds. I guess it's pretty seductive to think of the possibility of getting a truly amazing chick from eggs though. I might get sucked in after I have an established flock :p
I started multiple flocks in a different breed with eggs and chicks. never succeeded. then I founded the Sussex flock with started birds. Huge success! Only the change in the weather kept me from keeping them, sigh, Need Chantecler around here now. Point is started birds are well worth the effort and extra expense. You get birds started by the breeder, culled at least once for quality by the breeder. You can see how the birds are growing. And the breeder can choose birds representative of the quality in his breeding program. Best way to start out. I use http://www.boxesforbirds.com Super experienced folk. Just tell them the breed and age of the birds and they will set you up with the right size box and proper shipping info. Spend the extra money, you won't be sorry. Or get a trio (2M.1F) or quad (2M, 2F) of retiring breeder birds from a breeder. Often these birds will have a season or two left in them. The breeder already has get from them and doesn't need them anymore. Do not cross strains to found your flock. Buy from a vintage line bred strain which is showing quality over multiple generations. Tell the breeder you want stock which can be bred to each other. Follow the breeder's advice on whom to breed to whom for 3 generations until you get the hang of how the strain inherits and throws attributes. In a high quality vintage line bred program the show quality birds are usually one in 10. That's a lot of eggs to hatch looking for that special chick.
Best Success,
Karen oops, a trio is 1M and 2F , not (2M.1F)

Last edited:
I purchased Hatching eggs from them once. I had a good hatch rate, but I don't remember being particularly impressed with the chicks. I've gotten much nicer stock from other breeders.

The minimum order for chicks is 16. So that many of their chicks will set you back $224 plus shipping. Ouch. You can buy mature pairs or trios tufts for much less than that, even shipped.

You could get so many hatching eggs too, if you're into incubating.

Ed was the only source I've found so far. Are you aware of others that are available?
Granted, his location is convenient for me as I have family that travels through that area on the way to visit us, so transport is easy and free.
Thanks for the advice on getting the breeding trio. That's the route I was leaning towards, but the lottery element of eggs is so exciting :)

Ed was the only source I've found so far. Are you aware of others that are available?
Granted, his location is convenient for me as I have family that travels through that area on the way to visit us, so transport is easy and free.
Thanks for the advice on getting the breeding trio. That's the route I was leaning towards, but the lottery element of eggs is so exciting :)

I've never gotten eggs from Ed. Other breeders though. More people are on the Facebook group than here.

my araucana is 1 year old now (last april hatch). she started to lay in january, laid a few eggs then stopped. it has been about a month she hasn't laid any eggs. she looks and acts healthy. any idea what might be wrong with her?

my araucana is 1 year old now (last april hatch). she started to lay in january, laid a few eggs then stopped. it has been about a month she hasn't laid any eggs. she looks and acts healthy. any idea what might be wrong with her?

Yes, I completely know what is wrong with her...she's an Araucana!
1f61c.png
I have one that is just the same...oh no, wait, I did get some marble sized eggs from her too! Ugh, are they the worst layers or what!? I still think she is cute as a button and since I only have one I'm happy to keep her free loading self.

It even had an itty bitty yolk...we cracked it.

Yes, I completely know what is wrong with her...she's an Araucana!
1f61c.png
I have one that is just the same...oh no, wait, I did get some marble sized eggs from her too! Ugh, are they the worst layers or what!? I still think she is cute as a button and since I only have one I'm happy to keep her free loading self.

It even had an itty bitty yolk...we cracked it.

my 1 eyed araucana lays about 3-4 eggs per week. my all healthy araucana stopped laying. and my 3rd araucana is sick, I give her antibiotics but at least she goes to the nest and pretends she will lay an egg, lol.

my 4 months old NN pullet laid her 1st egg marble size but it had huge yolk:

Back
Top Bottom