Araucana thread anyone?

Is she splash or blue wheaten? If your cockerel is a BBR, the splash could make a huge difference in the color of your chicks - not to say they won't be cute and colorful, but they won't fit into a specific color variety - beautiful yard art
wink.png

To breed tails out of your flock, just remove the chicks that develop tails..... some of your chicks should be rumpless, keep those for future breeding....

I can't remember the formulas for chick rates, but I think you would get something like 50% (or is it 25%?) hatch rate, and all the chicks would be tufted.....All of my pullets are clean faced, I have a double tufted cockerel, but he isn't an approved color - which is too bad really, his tufts are unreal! I tried to take pics today, but they didn't come out well...and, he's shy too! I have a BBR cockerel coming in the mail tomorrow (thanks Ann!) from Ann Charles, he is gorgeous, but his tufts are a little uneven.

As for the possible color of your chicks.... I have 4 pullets from Ann, 2 of them are e+ wild type and 2 are BBR Wheaten based. I'll be breeding them with the BBR cockerel coming in the morning.... If your cockerel is BBR and the pullet is Bl Wh, I think you would have chicks that look mostly like BBR. If they have chipmunk stripes (agouti markings), that is your sign..... somebody with more experience than me might tell you more....
I guess that all my araucanas are wheaten based.

I have 2 pullets only. 1 has been laying for about 2 months and the tailed one has just started (2-3 eggs only). I didn't want to separate her from the rest of flock as she would have been bullied. I am glad there is a possibility to get rumpless chicks from her.

I can always keep their tailed chicks for olive eggers.

The tuft is something I am still working on. I have one single tufted cock and quite a few DT hens. The rest are clean faced. I am hoping I can get at least one double tufted cock from all my hatching this year. I have the duck wing variety and (I get both silver and golden) but mainly golden. I love this color variety as it is easier to sex the chicks at a younger age. Once the chick starts to get even a single salmon colored feather near the chest I know.

Who did you get the Silver DW from? - I so want some of those! My faves are the BBR and the SDW!.... I can't wait until I get some BBR eggs
love.gif

I guess that all my araucanas are wheaten based.

I have 2 pullets only. 1 has been laying for about 2 months and the tailed one has just started (2-3 eggs only). I didn't want to separate her from the rest of flock as she would have been bullied. I am glad there is a possibility to get rumpless chicks from her.

I can always keep their tailed chicks for olive eggers.

Oh, well you should have some nice chicks! ..... Absolutely, the tailed chicks would be great for an OE breeding pen
thumbsup.gif

This is my trio from Colorado: a double tufted roo and two c/f pullets:

This guy is interested in the roosters' business! - The sheep love the chickens and literally beg for their attention by walking up very slowly with their heads held low. Then they stand quietly and wait to see if a chicken will perch on them
tongue.png
.... I guess the sheep like having their hair plucked!
lol.png

This BBR guy just came from Ann Charles...his colors are so vibrant! The pics don't do him justice....his comb is wonky and tufts are uneven, but he's got a lot going for him...

And my young BBR pullets (brooding in my greenhouse!):

I was wondering, would light colored araucanas lay blue eggs, while dark colored ones lay more of greenish?
not in my case. they all lay the same colour. I have/have had black(ish), blue and splash. they come from the same flock of mixed colours and all of them lay the same colour.

I have had 6 araucana eggs due to hatch in 2-3 days. broody has just kicked out and broke 1. I found it at the corner of the nest. as my araucana parents are both double tufted I guess my broody understood it died in the shell. at least I hope she didn't kill it. it was a nice blue chick.

I hope that there are live chicks in the other eggs as she didn't discard them. there are 5 araucana's and 7 bcm eggs.

Oh, well you should have some nice chicks! ..... Absolutely, the tailed chicks would be great for an OE breeding pen :thumbsup

I have a question about chicks coming from a tailed hen, can you tell at hatch if the chick will have a tail or tail feathers later on in your experience? I've had four of seven hatch from the tailed hen and one looks like it has a very distinct tail but the others look fine, will they later on risk getting stray tail feathers? Or are only the ones with an obvious tail considered tailed? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom