Araucuna issues

megsmum

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 5, 2015
Hi I received two araucuna hens on the 8th July they were roughly. 15/16 weeks old

They've settled into my mixed flock of Brahma Cochin's and mixed breeds ok BUT they refuse to go in the house. We go down every night put them in but they won't enter freely and roost next to my dogs kennel. I'm not to worries about this s as we have livestock dogs down there. I'm am concerned about winter though -4 degrees. Also no eggs I've looked everywhere, they're in about half an acre of free range foraging. All my other chickens are laying. It has been hot ranging from 36-42 degrees when I expect egg laying to drop off. When can I expect them to lay and any tips on the hoys issue would be appreciated.

Your hens are still pretty young and may not have started laying eggs yet. On the other hand, if they are free ranging during the day they might have a hidden nest somewhere. I don't let my chickens free range, but I do remember that I would find an egg or two out in the chicken run when the hens first started laying eggs.

How big is the coop/house, in feet by feet(or meters by meters).
How many birds total?
Dimensions and pics(inside and out) would help here.

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Huge house roughly square 4 by 4 (12 sq ft approx). 8 hens.. plenty big enough. We locked them in for a week, promptly roosted up a tree as soon as released. Trouble with confining then to the house is my other girls won't be able to get into lay. Thanks for the link I'll check it out. We currently don't have a rooster I wondered if that might help. Never had any issues with hens not going into house before but never had araucunas either. Flighty birds

Two 6ft roosts. This is a purpose built brick building in an area of just over half an acre. Birds are free ranging. Food and water outside house. This is solely for sleeping etc.

We have plenty of room for eight hens possibly more. Free ranging and a chicken protector. These are the two araucuna hens. They seem healthy. All my other hens laying good shelled eggs. Plenty of food, scraps and foraging. I'll wait minimum they are 23 weeks most 27 weeks. Would a rooster help get them into the house. We lost our gorgeous Brahma before we got these girls
IMG_20210913_184107.jpg
IMG_20210913_184233.jpg
IMG_20210913_184130.jpg
IMG_20210913_184328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom