Are all Cochins so gentle?

silentrunning

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Venice, Florida
I have always had RIEs. A couple months ago I got some BO's and was impressed with their attitude. Then 3 weeks ago I got 2 Cochins. These are my first and I can't believe what great pets they are. One in particular is the best chicken I have ever seen. She loves the dogs, lets the grandkids pick her up and follows me everywhere. She will ride on the dogs back or on my shoulder until I take her off. When I sit outside she jumps up on the chair and climbs all over me. Are all Cochins this way or did I just get lucky? We call her Kiwi because she looks just like the little bird on Kiwi shoe polish.

Doug

100_1206.jpg

I don't have any cochins except the ones in my incubator that are hatching right now.

What kind of cochin is that? It kind of looks like my Gold lace that are hatching now.

Adorable and your dog's a cutie too!!

Laurie

I've got one little white cochin that I got before I realized silkies have black skin and feet! She has five toes on each foot, but she is the sweetest little thing. She is partially blind on one eye, and the boys love her, but if I go out into their pen, she will fly up onto my shoulder and will stay for as long as I let her. She eats out of my hand and loves cuddles too! If I start taking animals to schools for presentations again, she has definatly earned a spot in the lineup!

Emily in NC

We just got 2 blue Cochins and they are so sweet! My daughter carries them around and they actually seem to like it! Sometimes they even fall asleep. Right now they are still small, about 2 months old, and I have had them in my jacket and she has been sound asleep, snuggling!

LOVE COCHINS!
love.gif

I love cochins. They are so very gentle and calm. You can walk right up to them, pick them up, pet them, hand feed them. They are the most perfect chickens.

Oh I adore my two giant cochins. My splash is just a love bug...very sweet, affectionate and quiet, Luna will hop up on you like nothing and now she is 9 months old she is my biggest girl. My red is LOUD, bossy, affectionate and a doll. She is loud to get your attention or she unties your shoe laces and shuts up as soon as you pick her up.

This is Ruby on a house visit to watch cartoons...LOL

Ruby.jpg

This is my Splash sweetie, Luna.

Luna3-1.jpg

This is a recent pic of her so you can see how big she is

Luna432709.jpg

Last edited:
I am so excited about Cochins! I have some Eggs coming to me in the mail! I have never owned Cochins but hear such good things! I would love to hear more about them and there personality. Has anyone ever experienced a Mean Roo Cochin before?

I have 8 Standard Cochin girls and 2 Buff Orps.girls and they are all the sweetest and laid back birds! But I have to say my buff girls are so mild they don't care what you do, or how you pick them up,quickly or slow and easy, they just love to be held! It might because there 4 weeks older than the Cochins. I don't know! Yeah come to think about it the BOs were alittle bit more skiddish at that age too.

OH my to have to pick one over the other I could never do it!
barnie.gif

My little Part. Cochin has alway been the most skiddish of the Cochin. but she is still a real sweetie!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom