Are all Roosters mean??

I have a 7 month old Buff Orpington cockerel. So far, he has been great!

He is good to his girls: Calling them for food, warning them when danger (other birds) is present, takes them all home at dusk, and has even perfected the mating dance to romance them!

That being said....

He doesn't like to be touched by people. Ever. He is not a 'cuddly' rooster. And he is hard to catch if I need to treat him for anything.

On the plus side, he is a 'follow me around all day' rooster! He is good company.

And if I have to do something with one of his girls, he won't attack me. He will cower in a corner, making sooky crying noises, until I let them go!

That's not too bad in my opinion. I love him to bits!

Krista

I have a 7 month old Buff Orpington cockerel. So far, he has been great!

He is good to his girls: Calling them for food, warning them when danger (other birds) is present, takes them all home at dusk, and has even perfected the mating dance to romance them!

That being said....

He doesn't like to be touched by people. Ever. He is not a 'cuddly' rooster. And he is hard to catch if I need to treat him for anything.

On the plus side, he is a 'follow me around all day' rooster! He is good company.

And if I have to do something with one of his girls, he won't attack me. He will cower in a corner, making sooky crying noises, until I let them go!

That's not too bad in my opinion. I love him to bits!

Krista

Krista, how much do you want for that rooster?
wink.png
I want a rooster like that.

George is priceless!
big_smile.png

I really lucked out with him I think. He is the first roo I've ever owned and he is a lovely little weirdo!

The one thing that goes against him is that when he mates he takes out some feathers from the girl's rumps. Not because he is rough with the girls, but just because he is so big and heavy! They were looking a little sparse across the bustle for a while there. I have since ordered little saddles for them just in case it gets too bad.

The other GOOD thing about him is his crow. In comparison to some roosters, he is fairly quiet in his crow. And he will crow first thing in the morning for a good 10 minutes, but unless something weird happens (like a dog wandering onto the property) that's the only crowing he will do for the day.

He's such a good boy!

Krista

I am new to chickens. We successfully raised meat birds this spring and now have egg layers. We ordered 12 pullets. 6 barred rocks and 6 buff orps. 2 of the buffs ended up being roosters. This guy is Cogburn and he rules the roost. The other roo is little Jerry Seinfeld who basically thinks he's a hen. Cogburn sits at the top of the ladder all night keeping watch while Jerry and the hens roost on the pole in the coop. The birds are all 3 months old and lately I've noticed Cogburn getting aggressive with a couple of the barred rock hens. He had ahold of one by the wing this evening and pulled several feathers. When they are in the yard he sneaks up behind the barred rocks and chases them away from the other buffs. He's not aggressive at all with my family and actually runs from us (even my 2 year old son).
My question is, is he just going through some teenage boy, puberty hormone stage with the hens or do I need to eliminate him and let little Jerry Seinfeld run the roost. I only plan to keep and feed one rooster so I am trying to decide which one to eat.

I am new to chickens. We successfully raised meat birds this spring and now have egg layers. We ordered 12 pullets. 6 barred rocks and 6 buff orps. 2 of the buffs ended up being roosters. This guy is Cogburn and he rules the roost. The other roo is little Jerry Seinfeld who basically thinks he's a hen. Cogburn sits at the top of the ladder all night keeping watch while Jerry and the hens roost on the pole in the coop. The birds are all 3 months old and lately I've noticed Cogburn getting aggressive with a couple of the barred rock hens. He had ahold of one by the wing this evening and pulled several feathers. When they are in the yard he sneaks up behind the barred rocks and chases them away from the other buffs. He's not aggressive at all with my family and actually runs from us (even my 2 year old son).
My question is, is he just going through some teenage boy, puberty hormone stage with the hens or do I need to eliminate him and let little Jerry Seinfeld run the roost. I only plan to keep and feed one rooster so I am trying to decide which one to eat.

My BO is well over a year old and he still pulls the feathers out of the hens and sneaks up and tries to nab one, a lot of times they barely get away and a bunch of their feathers come out. Most of my hens have red bare places on them. I would give Jerry a go at it and get a really nice meal from Cogburn. It's getting close for my BO roo to go, just waiting for the others to get big enough.

My BO is well over a year old and he still pulls the feathers out of the hens and sneaks up and tries to nab one, a lot of times they barely get away and a bunch of their feathers come out.  Most of my hens have red bare places on them.  I would give Jerry a go at it and get a really nice meal from Cogburn.  It's getting close for my BO roo to go, just waiting for the others to get big enough.

When I have a rooster that none of the hens solicit copulation's from and where rooster does not engage in typical courtship, then more than likely something is wrong with the rooster. Swap him out.

Well Cogburn is out. He went to the soup pot after we had enough of his incessant tormenting of the hens. Little Jerry Seinfeld is our new ring leader. So far he's good with the hens and doesn't crow nearly as often as Cogburn did. Although Cogburn had a much nicer crow. I wish he woulda been nicer to our girls.

Just reading this. My pretty Big Boy George, 17 week old BO cockeral, has attacked my sister. Really had a go at her, bit her and kept slamming at her with his feet, puffing his feathers, flapping his wings, scratching at the ground and crowing. He wouldn't back down, even after she gave him a tap with a stick.
This came out of nowhere, no warning signs before this. Im really sad because I love hearing him crow. He's going to freezer camp as soon as I can catch him. I won't get anymore roosters and that sucks because I think they are beautiful and I love the crowing.
My question is...How bad is he going to fight me when I grab him up? Will he go for my face with his beak?

Just reading this. My pretty Big Boy George, 17 week old BO cockeral, has attacked my sister. Really had a go at her, bit her and kept slamming at her with his feet, puffing his feathers, flapping his wings, scratching at the ground and crowing. He wouldn't back down, even after she gave him a tap with a stick.
This came out of nowhere, no warning signs before this. Im really sad because I love hearing him crow. He's going to freezer camp as soon as I can catch him. I won't get anymore roosters and that sucks because I think they are beautiful and I love the crowing.
My question is...How bad is he going to fight me when I grab him up? Will he go for my face with his beak?

I will be rooting for the rooster on your next encounter but you will be able to handle him easily. The fear of him and the fighting with him is what caused much of the problem. Just go into him and grab him as he attacks. At 17 weeks he is not going to be able hit hard yet. If really scared, then use a cloths basket and drop it on him. Then reach under and grab his legs.

This just goes to show everyone's experiences are different. The only rooster breed I dislike intensely and as a breed are leghorns. Never, ever had a nice one.
As a child we had brown egg layers, not sure of the breed, but probably mixes, with never a problem.
This was back in the day when colored chicks were sold at Easter and they were ALL white leghorn roosters.
People who had gotten these as pets for their children, would ask my mom if she could take them since we lived in the country and had chickens (large fowl and bantams).
She felt sorry for them, so she would say "yes." What's another few birds?
Those birds were ST@@PID!!!!! They had it made in the shade if only they would have behaved. We kids learned to carry sticks with us.
We would whop the rooster coming at us, but they never learned, so one by one their behavior condemned them......perhaps because they had been pets? Their raising? But we never had a nice one that we kept.
After a bit my mom learned to say "no" when asked if she wanted any ex Easter chicks, and she warned people not to get them as they would all turn into nasty roosters.
Easter ducklings were OK, and the ones we provided a permanent home for fit right in. Most were egg laying girls, it seemed.

Back
Top Bottom