Roosters who don't understand no means NO!

Mar 24, 2022
I had to deal with a most aggressive rooster who was coercing a few of the hens who did not wish to partake in mating and simply ignored those who really desired to get their eggs fertilized. He wasn't going to take no for an answer. This was demoralizing the girls as a flock. We allowed him to sleep in the coop after dark but each and every morning he was placed into an extra large cage in the run. He missed the girls but his behavior had to change. It took about 6 weeks but he actually started courting the girls with a cute courtship dance rather than jumping their bones and ripping out their feathers. it was neat to see him doing that courtship dance. And finally Miss Chuckles got her man( she might be a hen with spurs but shes a great mom and lays lots of eggs) . He started being decent to all the ladies and settling down into real roostering instead of hormonal rage. He's also fathered several hundred chicks which we sell to pay for feed. At the end of the season we let the broody gals have a nest full of babies. Now to deal with all of his coming of age sons. UGH! I'd love to hear how others had deal with the same situation. One thing I learned in life there are always more than one route to a winning solution. Besides if I can cut down the 6 weeks of rooster training I'm going to try it!

Congratulations on being able to train your rooster into better behavior! I hope someone can offer some useful strategies. but it sure isn't me.

A couple of years ago, I got unsexed Bantam chicks, two of which were male. I rehomed the more aggressive one to someone with a rooster flock. The bullied boy then became a terror; he wouldn't leave the full-sized hens in his coop/run alone, attacked me and anyone else he encountered.

I tried every suggestion I stumbled across to rein in his aggressiveness.

I would like to tell you that the story has a happy ending for all of us. I moved the bad boy into a coop with a couple of full-sized, mature hens who had previously lived with a sweet rooster, who had passed away. There was an adjustment period. While there is finally peace in that coop, the rooster still hates me. I never go into that run without full protective gear.

Good luck with future training!

Besides if I can cut down the 6 weeks of rooster training I'm going to try it!
It might be that they just need this period to grow out of their aggression and start settling naturally... so the separation may or may not be what actually helped. Aging and maturing play their own role.

Back
Top Bottom