Are anyone else's quail seemingly made of dust?

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
My coturnix quail are a lot dustier than my chickens. A layer of quail dust coats the rims of the coop doors, the entire top of the 4-sided nipple waterer, and probably most other places too. It can't be healthy to breathe in, so I try to wear at least a cloth facemask whenever I am around them. How do you all deal with quail dust, especially those of you that have indoor quail?

My coturnix quail are a lot dustier than my chickens. A layer of quail dust coats the rims of the coop doors, the entire top of the 4-sided nipple waterer, and probably most other places too. It can't be healthy to breathe in, so I try to wear at least a cloth facemask whenever I am around them. How do you all deal with quail dust, especially those of you that have indoor quail?
Quail need extra extra ventilation i blow mine out with a leaf blower once a week

Quail need extra extra ventilation i blow mine out with a leaf blower once a week
I wish I could do something like that, but I wouldn't be able to catch all the quail and move them so often. They are terrified of me as is. We had a quail hutch built for us, and it is great but definitely lacking in ventilation. It is very hot these days in my area.

I wish I could do something like that, but I wouldn't be able to catch all the quail and move them so often. They are terrified of me as is. We had a quail hutch built for us, and it is great but definitely lacking in ventilation. It is very hot these days in my area.
That's not good. You can help them with the heat by providing ice in their water and I take 2 liter bottles, fill them about 2/3 to 3/4 full and freeze them. I put the frozen bottles in their pen. When it's really hot they lay against it.

I put a bit of ice in the water today, but I will start doing it more often. If I find any plastic bottles I will freeze them and put them in there, but my family almost never uses plastic water bottles.
You could use a plastic bag. You may have to replace them often if the birds peck at it, but it might work.

Back
Top Bottom