Are apples okay for chickens?

hippiechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
OHIO Go Bucks!!
Hey I am going to put our chicken coop under an apple tree I have read some where that if you give your chickens fruit it will make them stop laying but I have seen on here that some of you give your chickens apples . Do think the tree needs to go or can we keep it?

I say let the chickens eat the fallen apples especially those bug -infested culls under the tree! Not only does the chicken get a treat, the bugs are added protein and don't get a chance to multiply for next year. Organic Bug Control!

Quote:
Hehehe.... You won't believe this but, when I gave my chickens some slightly old apples and they DID get drunk!LOL They wre falling off from the perch!
lol.png
lau.gif
gig.gif

Mine are also crazy about apples. We have two trees out near the coop and they manage to find the ones that have dropped off the tree when they are out and about. Never had a problem - I think they'd have to eat a bag full of apple seeds to get enough to cause them problems. They are healthy, active and their production is great. But that's just me - I figure in nature they don't have anyone coring apples for them or "pre-preparing" any other food they might forage, so I just let 'em go. They balance it all out with good layer rations, plenty of greens, bugs, and other scraps so it's not like the apples make up the majority of their diet. Enjoy your chickens no matter what you decide to do......

I just picked up 17 or 18 bushels of apples for hard and fresh cider production. With only 7 chickens, I won't be giving ALL the "squeezins" to the girls, but they'll surely get a hearty helping of ground apples.

I've heard the seeds are potentially problematic, but like others have said, never actually heard of a chicken dying or getting seriously ill from eating apples.

A little "intestinal discomfort", sure...but then again, after drinking a half gallon of fresh cider today, I can confirm this is not an issue exclusive to chickens!
tongue.png

keep the apple tree. My yard has an apple tree and my birds love them. They never stopped laying cept to molt or go broody. They go crazy over the apples........your lucky to have the tree.

my chickens go nuts for apples! I give them as treats to the goats and donkeys, and my deer, and the chickens all run over to get what the animals drop! I usually have to get extra for the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom