Are apples okay for chickens?

hippiechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
OHIO Go Bucks!!
Hey I am going to put our chicken coop under an apple tree I have read some where that if you give your chickens fruit it will make them stop laying but I have seen on here that some of you give your chickens apples . Do think the tree needs to go or can we keep it?

keep the apple tree. My yard has an apple tree and my birds love them. They never stopped laying cept to molt or go broody. They go crazy over the apples........your lucky to have the tree.

my chickens go nuts for apples! I give them as treats to the goats and donkeys, and my deer, and the chickens all run over to get what the animals drop! I usually have to get extra for the chickens!

My only concern is the apple seeds. Apple seeds contain a poison. I can't remember which one at the moment, but if the chickens were to eat enough of them it could be bad news.
I just made a point not to give my chickens the leftovers (cores)after making any thing with apple. I figured they might get too much of the seeds. Haven't lost a chicken to apple poisening yet.

I'd keep the tree, also.

We give our laying hens fruit on occasion and have never had them quit laying because of it.

The only time the girls slow down or quit laying is in the winter (when the days are shorter) or as lurky said, when they go broody or into molting.

Dawn

cool.png

My chickens will knock you down to get your apple core, much less a whole apple - they don't care if the apples are new or getting old - they are not as picky as the human family!

When my grandmother and greatgrand kept chickens, they did not have bags of layer feed around. They did not have bags of dog food. The animals and humans shared much of what they ate. Will my hens lay less if I "supplement"? Maybe, but will their health be affected, I don't believe so. We have a pile of kale from my FIL's house, today the Delightful Dozen barely touched their organic layer feed - that is ok with me, we got 9 eggs and that is more than enough for the 5 of us!

My dogs are getting less packaged dog food and a more "homemade" food, and they are looking fine and taking points at dog shows. The chickens are happy and busy all over the yard getting all the greens and bugs they can.

So, in my mind, if they eat apples they will be fine

Of course my chicks turned 1 year just a couple of weeks ago and I am NO expert. But common sense seems to say that we may worry too much.

Quote:
I believe that it is cyanide. I take the cores out of my apples before I feed them, I know most on here dont from what I read. I dont know if there is enough in a seed to hurt them, thats why I core them first. It seems that maybe that the amount inthe seeds is too miniscule to harm them. But wait for other replies.

My chickens also LOVE apples, but it seems if they eat too many it gives them the runs. This fall I cut up a bunch of apples and froze them so they could have them all winter. I either just give them the slices or I cook them up in oatmeal when it is really cold outside and they absolutely go crazy!

Back
Top Bottom