Are Ayum Cemanis good for showing?

Aug 21, 2017
HI, I'M NEW!!!!!!!!!

I need to raise some chickens for showing and is interested in Ayum Cemanis, does anyone know if this is a good breed for this purpose? I know that they're expensive and rare so you don't have to go on and on about that, I just want to know if they're aggressive or not, if they go broody much, and if they would be accepted into a show. Thanks! :frow

HI, I'M NEW!!!!!!!!!

I need to raise some chickens for showing and is interested in Ayum Cemanis, does anyone know if this is a good breed for this purpose? I know that they're expensive and rare so you don't have to go on and on about that, I just want to know if they're aggressive or not, if they go broody much, and if they would be accepted into a show. Thanks! :frow
Ayam Cemanis are not an APA accepted breed, so for showing, they would not be a good choice. They cannot win anything more than BB or RB.

Last edited:
"A. Only breeds and varieties admitted to the American Standard of Perfection maycompete for the American Poultry Association, inc. special prizes and awards. Non-recognized
varieties may only be awarded RV and BV and non- recognized breeds may only be awarded RB
and BB."

Quoted from http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF Forms/Show Rules 5-28-15.pdf

"A. Only breeds and varieties admitted to the American Standard of Perfection maycompete for the American Poultry Association, inc. special prizes and awards. Non-recognized
varieties may only be awarded RV and BV and non- recognized breeds may only be awarded RB
and BB."

Quoted from http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF Forms/Show Rules 5-28-15.pdf

Right now I'm just doing local shows at fairs and stuff...I'm not looking to go to anything fancy. Would these be fine for a fair or 4-H show?

Last edited:
Right now I'm just doing local shows at fairs and stuff...I'm not looking to go to anything fancy. Would these be fine for a fair or FFA show?
Now that I do not know. Are they APA sanctioned?

You could check the rulebook. They might have something on that.

Still, if they have the usual setup of gender-variety-breed-class then it seems the Cemanis would not fit in there.

Now that I do not know. Are they APA sanctioned?

You could check the rulebook. They might have something on that.

Still, if they have the usual setup of gender-variety-breed-class then it seems the Cemanis would not fit in there.

Thanks for your help, is there any other interesting breed you might recommend?

Thanks for your help, is there any other interesting breed you might recommend?
APA accepted? It depends on your location. If you're in a northern climate, Chanteclers or Buckeyes are good. For southern areas, perhaps a bird out of the Mediterranean class would be best.

I have 3 Ayam Cemanis - all broody hatched and raised the same as my other birds. I knew before I got them that they were considered a 'flighty' breed, but I didn't count on just how nervous they are. They are 4 months old now, and I can only get near them when they are on the perch in the night.
Even then when I pick them up they try to get away, peck at me to try and stop me touching them, and squawk and pant as if they are having a panic attack! In the daytime they will sometimes come and take treats from my hand, but they are too nervous to get too close, so they stab at the food and run away immediately. They jump in fright and run away from the rest of the flock, their siblings, their shadows, absolutely nothing..... :barnie

None of my other breeds - Bielefelders, Marans, production reds etc. are anywhere near that nervous, and they were raised in exactly the same way, so I know that it is just the breed, and not the environment or the way they have been raised.

If you raised them from chicks and spent a LOT of time with them then you may have birds that were easier to handle, but I'm still not certain that they would be a calm enough breed for showing, which is a relatively stressful situation for a bird.

Bielfelders and Black Copper Marans on the other hand - no problem at all ;)

Right now I'm just doing local shows at fairs and stuff...I'm not looking to go to anything fancy. Would these be fine for a fair or 4-H show?
Breed doesn't usually matter for 4-H. I've seen Barred Rocks entered as Wyandottes and still win. It's not the bird being judged. Now, if you want to get serious about showing eventually, pick an APA sanctioned breed and get the best possible birds you can.

I have 3 Ayam Cemanis - all broody hatched and raised the same as my other birds. I knew before I got them that they were considered a 'flighty' breed, but I didn't count on just how nervous they are. They are 4 months old now, and I can only get near them when they are on the perch in the night.
Even then when I pick them up they try to get away, peck at me to try and stop me touching them, and squawk and pant as if they are having a panic attack! In the daytime they will sometimes come and take treats from my hand, but they are too nervous to get too close, so they stab at the food and run away immediately. They jump in fright and run away from the rest of the flock, their siblings, their shadows, absolutely nothing..... :barnie

None of my other breeds - Bielefelders, Marans, production reds etc. are anywhere near that nervous, and they were raised in exactly the same way, so I know that it is just the breed, and not the environment or the way they have been raised.

If you raised them from chicks and spent a LOT of time with them then you may have birds that were easier to handle, but I'm still not certain that they would be a calm enough breed for showing, which is a relatively stressful situation for a bird.

Bielfelders and Black Copper Marans on the other hand - no problem at all ;)
did you handle your cemanis alot when they were young

Back
Top Bottom