Are black giants and buttercups autosexing?

Pullarius93

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
One of my black giant hens has a white spot on her head and I was wondering if that means she's a roo. And the picture I've seen of buttercup chicks looked like mine but they said it was a female and I can't find any boy pics to compare it too.

I was wanting all hens for my 14 birds and a male buttercup.

I have 4 different breeds and one production cross group.

Neither of the those breeds are autosexing. If your black giant has a white dot on its head, then it is not a black giant. Some pictures could help to identify what breed it truly is.
I just counted my chicks again and I have 16 I only noticed the white spot today I wonder if my family slipped one in or I've been miss counting lol.

Attachments

• 20230506_021044.jpg
    20230506_021044.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230506_021321.jpg
    20230506_021321.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 7
Murray mcmurray. A online hatchery.
Okay, I've figured out where the buttercup is, on top of the feeder. It just looks very dark, probably because of the picture quality. The other dark one near it could be another buttercup, or gold laced Wyandotte, but there are no others in that group.

The one with the head spot is likely to be a cuckoo Maran because it has a whitish undercolor to the legs, not yellowish as a barred rock would have. It is definitely not a Jersey Giant. You can see the barring on its wing feathers.

Okay, I've figured out where the buttercup is, on top of the feeder. It just looks very dark, probably because of the picture quality. The other dark one near it could be another buttercup, or gold laced Wyandotte, but there are no others in that group.

The one with the head spot is likely to be a cuckoo Maran because it has a whitish undercolor to the legs, not yellowish as a barred rock would have. It is definitely not a Jersey Giant. You can see the barring on its wing feathers.
Thanks 😊 I have 1 golden laced Wyandotte, 5 leghorns, 4 jersey giants, a buttercup rooster, and 4 hybrid productions I can't remember what type.

I'm really confused about the 16th one. I could of sworn I counted them at 15 the first day I got them to see if any extras were added for warmth. they said they would sometimes do that. I've had family over the last few days idk if someone pulled a prank on me or not as everyone's asleep currently.

Thanks 😊 I have 1 golden laced Wyandotte, 5 leghorns, 4 jersey giants, a buttercup rooster, and 4 hybrid productions I can't remember what type.

I'm really confused about the 16th one. I could of sworn I counted them at 15 the first day I got them to see if any extras were added for warmth. they said they would sometimes do that. I've had family over the last few days idk if someone pulled a prank on me or not as everyone's asleep currently.
It's easy to miscount chicks. If it is an extra, it could be a black sex link cockerel. Hatcheries usually send males as extras.

It's easy to miscount chicks. If it is an extra, it could be a black sex link cockerel. Hatcheries usually send males as extras.
That makes me feel better lol 😆 I don't know what to do with him if he is a rooster. I was planning on trying to breed for buttercup combs in my flock mixes.

Back
Top Bottom