Are cats real predators are just PESTS

Has cat killed a chicken?

• Cat preyed upon and killed a chicken.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cat has frightened chickens into injuring themselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat is just an unwelcome pest.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

ChickInDelight

Never an Empty Nest
11 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Browntown, VA
I see that cats are way low on the list of predators and pests. I also see several posts where folks are concerned about neighbor cats. Some even admit to relocating cats that appear on their property.

My question is this - have you ever had a cat prey on your chickens?

Scaring chickens in a confined space so that they injure themselves does not count.

Last edited:
neighbors cat stalks my chickens all the time. Just took a 4 month old baby from the flock. it is definitely a nuisance and kills birds from everyones wild bird feeders too. He is trying my patience and is very lucky he took a cockeral that was going to be culled anyway or I would have gone looking for him instead of waiting for him to come back
smack.gif

of course they probably heard it through the grapevine that we weren't happy because he killed my chicken and they have been keeping him in most of the time now....

I haven't had an issue but he may be due to the fact my cat is rather territorial and my chickens are fairly larger now, although even as chicks the cat was scared of them. I'm hoping I never have an issue with cats though.

You want to know what takes care of stupid cats? My dogs. The house cat being the exception to this rule (and they know it) if any cat or its look alike is in the yard we say "get the kitty" and off they go. When they hit the edge of the property they stop, cat does not. No more cat or bunny or dog or whatever. Well trained dogs, that's the solution.

I have 7 barn cats...

Cats have never been a problem for me. They have tried to go after the ducklings, but the mama duck and drake took care of that. I haven't seem the kittys get near since.

Yes, I've had cats prey on chickens. Usually only the chicks are at risk if they don't have a mother hen puffing up a threat to the cat. But I have had adult chickens killed by hungry feral cats. Only two instances in the last 10 years I'm aware of. In my neck of the woods, it's the Raccoons that are the most persistent and roaming Dogs that are the most destructive when they do attack. I have lost chickens to unknown predators.

My outside kitties get along very well with my chickies.......my cat will lay in the yard with them. My chickens boss the cats around. I've seen feral cats watching my chickens outside the run fence but I have not had any predation from feral cats. I know when one is around because all 25 of my chickens run to that part of the run and engage in a united "stink eye" directed towards said cat. Can't say it can't happen, I'll just say that I've never experienced it.

I find them to be pests and will not put up with them in my yard if I can catch them.Not easy getting that pee smell out from around your home foundation.Of all the places they have to *go*!

Have chicks running around outside with broodies and two outdoor cats + several ferals that come by. No losses to cats. My chickens chase my cats around the yard!
smile.png

I think if chicks were left alone, might be a different story, but I've put out brooder raised chicks at about 6 weeks and my cats leave them alone. They even eat each other's food - my leghorns will push the cat out of his food dish if I feed them in the wrong order.
tongue.png

I just got a new stray kitten that was outside until I could get him checked out and he'd try to pounce on all the chickens, at which time they'd all start the 'egg song/danger' sound and scare him off.
tongue.png
It was pretty funny. They are used to 'my' cats so only sound the danger call at stranger cats.

That said, a starving feral I would assume would make a run on a chicken - especially a slow/injured/young one.

Back
Top Bottom