Will cats attack silkies or similar sized breeds?

Unprotected chicks would certainly be attractive to many cats, and large hens or roosters much less attractive. Silkies may be fair game to some cats, and are more vulnerable to all predators, because they are small, and have poor vision thanks to their feathering. Also they can't fly, never good.
You could live trap visiting cats, and take them to your Animal Control shelter, if that's possible. Cats wearing a collar, or who are microchipped, can have owners found.
Have you talked to your neighbors, asking who owns these cats? I'd want to find owners first, and let them know that your chickens can be at risk on your own property.
Then safe housing, and electric fencing if possible, are your friends.
Mary
That’s a very good idea. I’ve discussed it with my father, but my mother and sibling highly oppose the idea of even trapping them. Sadly, people in my neighborhood don’t care about their cats, and think they would be fine outside, when it’s nearly every day I hear of or see a kitty get hit by a car :( I’ve also been unsure about taking them to a shelter since a lot of cats that get taken in end up being euthanized due to their mass numbers. A part of me doesn’t think the cats here are brave enough to actually harm my chicks, or I would have lost Shadow months- or even years ago, but I can’t help but stress out over it.

IMG_20220125_165335.jpg

That’s a very good idea. I’ve discussed it with my father, but my mother and sibling highly oppose the idea of even trapping them. Sadly, people in my neighborhood don’t care about their cats, and think they would be fine outside, when it’s nearly every day I hear of or see a kitty get hit by a car :( I’ve also been unsure about taking them to a shelter since a lot of cats that get taken in end up being euthanized due to their mass numbers. A part of me doesn’t think the cats here are brave enough to actually harm my chicks, or I would have lost Shadow months- or even years ago, but I can’t help but stress out over it.
Get a Goose.

I have two outdoor cats that have for the most part left my chickens alone. When my easter eggers were little, the cats were actually scared of them lol. Now the cats have gotten more brave, but they still seem unsure about attacking the chickens. We also have stray cats in the area, but my chickens are penned up when there around. Since the cats you are worried about are strays, I would personally be more concerned about them attacking your bantams. Do your bantams free range with other full sized hens? Do you have a rooster? If so, I would be less worried. It is definitely a possibility that the cats would attack, but there are plenty of other predators that might be more inclined to hurt your chickens.

Personally, my cats don't attack our birds, in fact, one of ours was even caught on many occasions sleeping with the chicks. That said, I wouldn't trust one of our neighbors or a stray. I did have to chase off a cat recently that was about to pounce our call duck, bantam duck, that had followed me out to the front yard.

Wouldn't BB or pellets be cruel? They could do internal damage/infection that the cat would have to suffer thru.
I got advice about BB guns from a man l work with load a BB gun with salt crystals they leave nothing harmful in the body they sting like heck and they likely wont forget it!

I have lost more chickens to feral cats than to any other predator. (Hawks are #2.)
I trap all of the cats that I can and then shoot them in the head with a pellet gun and put them in a trash bag for the garbage man. There does seem to be an endless supply of them due to their prolific reproduction and people constantly turning them loose.
Besides killing chickens, feral cats are devastating to songbirds and small wild animals. They do not belong in the environment!

Wouldn't BB or pellets be cruel? They could do internal damage/infection that the cat would have to suffer thru.
I find that it is most humane to shoot the cats in the center of the top of the head at near point-blank range while they are trapped. A second shot is seldom needed but I usually offer one anyhow just to make sure suffering is minimal. An average BB gun is probably not adequate - and certainly not ideal. Use a strong pellet gun, or use a regular firearm, assuming you're in an area where that is safe and legal to do.
This is not a cruel method, but it will likely be a messy one, requiring a bucket of water to wash away blood and feces.
Until people quit releasing cats (the real cruelty), this is the best alternative we are left with.

Back
Top Bottom