Are cherry and pear trees safe for chickens?

LilChickyChick

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
Numerous threats prevent us from fully free ranging our chickens. I have an area with cherry trees and pear trees that is just open space with plenty of bugs, grass and weeds. We wanted to fence this area off and allow our chickens more space, but I’ve read that the pits/seeds of both these fruit are not good for chickens. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to the dangers of these fruit seeds? Or has anyone done this already, and have experience?

I don't see a problem with them, my chickens eat both, they love old pears. Perhaps the cherry stones, which contain cyanide, could be an issue -- but I'd imagine they'd have to eat an impractically high volume to get poisoned, or to be impacted by them, etc.

One of my flocks free range under cherries, and a pear tree, and there has been no issues at all.
Also, here at the right time of year, wild cockatoos eat almost exclusively apple pips, (with a little bit of the apple thrown in!)
Other birds eat a lot of sour cherries, again all the stones as well.
I think if they can eat that many without any ill effects, then chickens can deal with the odd one or two.

I don't see a problem with them, my chickens eat both, they love old pears. Perhaps the cherry stones, which contain cyanide, could be an issue -- but I'd imagine they'd have to eat an impractically high volume to get poisoned, or to be impacted by them, etc.
I read it’s the seeds of both that could harm them. I didn’t know how serious a threat it was. I think I’d rather take that risk than keep them in a small area. I can deal with the fruit seeds/run if I notice an issue. Thanks for you input!

Numerous threats prevent us from fully free ranging our chickens. I have an area with cherry trees and pear trees that is just open space with plenty of bugs, grass and weeds. We wanted to fence this area off and allow our chickens more space, but I’ve read that the pits/seeds of both these fruit are not good for chickens. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to the dangers of these fruit seeds? Or has anyone done this already, and have experience?
I feel like they wouldn’t mess with the pits. They are hard and wouldn’t be much interest to a chicken. Even though they are not the smartest animal on the planet, God did endow them with instincts so I’d say let them forage in the space and maybe just keep an easy eye on them to make sure they are doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom