are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
I grew up on a farm in Western PA (above Pittsburgh) back the 50's and 60's and had chickens and all other types of farm animals but none were considered as pets, though I did have a pet rooster once when we sold the farm and moved closer to the "nearest" city, still about 3 miles out.

It's a shame that chickens get such a bad rap, as far as city ordinances go, and it's about time they lighten up and revised those antiquated ordinances. Domestic chickens descendants/crossbreeds from the Asian Jungle Fowl.

I think chickens can be livestock or pets, or a combination. Some folks here stated that they have many chickens, the "livestock" separated from the "pets", and treat them as such, giving them the same respect and living a healthy life. I think it's safer than raising a Python, Tarantula, Iguana or some other exotic that was not meant to be domesticate in the first place.

And, speaking of domesticated animals, how 'bout those that have those pot-belly pigs trapsing through their homes or some type of miniature goat? Pot-bellies were the rage back in the day, their origins had to come from some type of farm animal crossbreed for a few generations with something to create a Hybrid that serves no purpose other than parading it around on a leash. I've never seen a wild boar or a farm pig shaped like that. I've seen many pigs slaughtered yearly on our farm...IT'S A PIG!

Maybe Pot-Bellies are put in the same category as Silkies...not considered real in their own right, whatever that my be. Please, I'm not bashing either here.

Well, pigs, goats and chickens were meant to be used as livestock, but when you have a SMALL backyard setup, these little buggers can get attached to you and vise versa.

What about that horse or a few you may have? You may not have any cattle or sheep to herd, but just have them for your own enjoyment and companionship. I have a few coworkers that have horses that serve no particular purpose, other than riding, grooming and keeping them company. Does that make them a pet?

No chickens right now, but live in a concrete jungle development right now (built 2006) with an HOA (Home Owners Assassination), with brick walls all around, so have to be conservative of my setup, which is seriously in the coop/run planning stages right now like Fort Knox and hope to purchase some chicks next early spring. The City allows 24 hens while the HOA allows a "reasonable" number, whatever that means.
idunno.gif

Time is long overdue for me to get back to my farm roots, and my chickens will be pets with benefits. If they live to a ripe old age, I will have someone else process them for me, and have no problem eating something that I know was raised happy and healthy. No pet cemetery here.

To wrap up my wandering essay, I think any "domesticated" farm animal can be a pet as to how you perceive them for your purpose. Lyons and Tigers and Bears, Oh My, just won't work because that wildness hasn't been bred out of them....LOL!

I GIVE A BIG THUMBS UP FOR CHICKENS AS PETS, but still see them as a multi-purpose critter. My issue now is hatchery stock or local breeders. That's another topic and will address that issue in the appropriate thread. Thanks for reading this. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Agree completely that chickens (like most animals) are what you consider them to be. Our chickens are pets, eggs are a bonus, and they die of old age after a happy life being spoiled rotten. :)

My grandad keeps maybe a hundred chickens, because he likes to, but also because he breeds and shows them. So I don't think he would consider his pets in the same way he would with, say, their cat. He used to be a butcher though, so he doesn't have a problem looking after animals well, then eating them - I'm a wuss lol my chickens are my babies :p

It depends on how you treat them for their entire life. Mine are not pets, because I do not commit to keep them around when their laying is significantly reduced. Just because I treat them nice for a while and make them feel safe, one day to surprise them with .... No, I would never do that to my dogs. The dogs are pets, and I commit to love and care for them until they die. Not the chickens.

I grew up on a farm in Western PA (above Pittsburgh) back the 50's and 60's and had chickens and all other types of farm animals but none were considered as pets, though I did have a pet rooster once when we sold the farm and moved closer to the "nearest" city, still about 3 miles out.

It's a shame that chickens get such a bad rap, as far as city ordinances go, and it's about time they lighten up and revised those antiquated ordinances. Domestic chickens descendants/crossbreeds from the Asian Jungle Fowl.

I think chickens can be livestock or pets, or a combination.  Some folks here stated that they have many chickens, the "livestock" separated from the "pets", and treat them as such, giving them the same respect and living a healthy life.  I think it's safer than raising a Python, Tarantula, Iguana or some other exotic that was not meant to be domesticate in the first place.

And, speaking of domesticated animals, how 'bout those that have those pot-belly pigs trapsing through their homes or some type of miniature goat? Pot-bellies were the rage back in the day, their origins had to come from some type of farm animal crossbreed for a few generations with something to create a Hybrid that serves no purpose other than parading it around on a leash.  I've never seen a wild boar or a farm pig shaped like that.  I've seen many pigs slaughtered yearly on our farm...IT'S A PIG!

Maybe Pot-Bellies are put in the same category as Silkies...not considered real in their own right, whatever that my be. Please, I'm not bashing either here.

Well, pigs, goats and chickens were meant to be used as livestock, but when you have a SMALL backyard setup, these little buggers can get attached to you and vise versa.

What about that horse or a few you may have?  You may not have any cattle or sheep to herd, but just have them for your own enjoyment and companionship.  I have a few coworkers that have horses that serve no particular purpose, other than riding, grooming and keeping them company.  Does that make them a pet?

No chickens right now, but live in a concrete jungle development right now (built 2006) with an HOA (Home Owners Assassination), with brick walls all around, so have to be conservative of my setup, which is seriously in the coop/run planning stages right now like Fort Knox and hope to purchase  some chicks next early spring.  The City allows 24 hens while the HOA allows a "reasonable" number, whatever that means. :idunno

Time is long overdue for me to get back to my farm roots, and my chickens will be pets with benefits.  If they live to a ripe old age, I will have someone else process them for me, and have no problem eating something that I know was raised happy and healthy. No pet cemetery here.

To wrap up my wandering essay, I think any "domesticated" farm animal can be a pet as to how you perceive them for your purpose. Lyons and Tigers and Bears, Oh My, just won't work because that wildness hasn't been bred out of them....LOL!

I GIVE A BIG THUMBS UP FOR CHICKENS AS PETS, but still see them as a multi-purpose critter. My issue now is hatchery stock or local breeders.  That's another topic and will address that issue in the appropriate thread.  Thanks for reading this.  --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Well said. :)

No, like rabbits the original purpose is as livestock, but some people do consider them pets. However legally they are defined as livestock, they are used for food (meat and eggs). Just because they are livestock doesn't mean you treat them inhumanely. For those who say they are pets, but plan to eat them when their laying production decreases to nearly no eggs--would you eat a dog or cat when they don't do their job whether they are guardians of livestock, mousers or just a companion.

You can love livestock, but you know they are usually kept in more numbers than pets, they produce a product for your, and don't live in the house.

As I said, my chickens are pets with benefits. But I gave it some thoughts, and I must say I have some boundries.
First of all, the diapers. Chickens don't wear diapers. At least Dutch chickens don't. Yeah, we're kind of boring, but we are just not the kind of people that put diapers on chickens.
Second of all, I set limits to the spoiling. I just don't want them to get fat, because it's very unhealthy for them. A chubby chicken looks cute, but I think spoiling with food just isn't a good idea.
So they get their oats, popcorn, bread, fruit. But not every day and in small portions.

As I said, my chickens are pets with benefits. But I gave it some thoughts, and I must say I have some boundries.
First of all, the diapers. Chickens don't wear diapers. At least Dutch chickens don't. Yeah, we're kind of boring, but we are just not the kind of people that put diapers on chickens.
Second of all, I set limits to the spoiling. I just don't want them to get fat, because it's very unhealthy for them. A chubby chicken looks cute, but I think spoiling with food just isn't a good idea.
So they get their oats, popcorn, bread, fruit. But not every day and in small portions.

Does this rule out putting a harness and lead on them, and taking them down the sidewalks for an evening stroll?

Our chickens are most certainly PETS. The girls are beautiful, friendly, social and a delight to have. They make us laugh, they feed us and they are helping to clean out our flowerbeds. We have lap chickens that love to be fawned over and they look at you like they know just what you are saying. Ours also come running when we call them and it is the cutest sight. Don't ever want to be without them.

ANY critter that suddenly or eventually sprouts it's own name is...my pet. By this it's possible to say SOME of my hens aren't pets, (yet).
harnbone in flagstaff

Back
Top Bottom