Is it Ridiculous to cry over a chicken?

RebeccaSilkies

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2024
One of my hens just passed away recently and when me and my family were deciding what to do with her remains I started crying. My Father said that I'm being ridiculous and that she's just a farm animal and she's not a pet. But she was a pet to me. I loved her and took care of her the same way I would a pet. I am I being ridiculous for crying over her death? Is it weird to think my chickens are my pets?

:welcome

I've cried many times over loosing a chicken. Over a year ago, my hen Macy unexpectedly died, and upon finding her, I just broke down and cried for a long time. And even to this day, I still can't believe she's gone and I can't understand why she had to go. Then, last fall, I lost two hens within three days of each other, Victoria II and my crossbeak hen Amber. I was upset over them, especially Amber. On them though, it took me a day or two before I realized they were actually gone. (I think I was in denial.) Then, one morning, I went in the coop to let the birds out and I realized that it looked like some of my birds were missing and that's when it hit me and I ended up crying on them too.

You're not being ridiculous over crying over your precious girl. It's hard. So sorry for your loss and may your girl fly high in chicken heaven. Lots of hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

One of my hens just passed away recently and when me and my family were deciding what to do with her remains I started crying. My Father said that I'm being ridiculous and that she's just a farm animal and she's not a pet. But she was a pet to me. I loved her and took care of her the same way I would a pet. I am I being ridiculous for crying over her death? Is it weird to think my chickens are my pets?
Sorry you lost her.
All mine are pets and I have lost a number over the last few years and bawled my eyes out over a couple of them.
And last night I burst into tears with relief because a hen I thought was lost turned up safe and sound.
Definitely not ridiculous to cry over an animal you care for.
:hugs

My favorite childhood pet was a rooster. He was also a farm animal. There's no rule against an animal being both, and there's no rules about how you should or shouldn't feel about them. I was devastated when he passed while I was away at college. I think about him often, decades later. Sometimes I mistakenly call my current rooster by the same name, haha. He was an important part of my life and always will be. And yes, I STILL cry when one of my laying flock passes, and I'm far, far into adulthood now.

I think your feelings show a naturally loving and kind spirit. Don't feel like you have to be hard and tough to please other people. Your chickens are lucky to be so cared for. Big hugs... losing them is the hardest part.

Definitely not ridiculous! I have even cried over birds that were alive! This summer I lost the first hen I can confidently say I had a close bond with. She had her issues, and I was expecting it to come. One day, I knew that I would not see her alive again. Next morning, I found only half of her. She had passed right at the edge of the wire, and a fox managed to pull her through the gaps. I was half prepared for her passing, but seeing her like that broke me. I needed to sit down. I was numb for the rest of the day, only breaking down at night, and then again the next day while opening the run door for the morning and seeing her missing. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Grief can't be put into words. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I am so sorry you lost her, :hugs it is not at all ridiculous to cry over her passing! We get attached to these creatures, a bond that only your heart understands. And it hurts when they pass, there is no shame in crying! I still bawl my eyes out when one of my babies dies. 💔 And it will always hurt me. Being sad over this loss shows strength, not weakness. We all truly understand and have been where you are right now. I do hope your heavy heart heals soon. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom